PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing libflashplayer on amd x64

typos1
June 29th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Anyone know about this? I ve tried to do it several ways. How do I move a .so file to a location? I ve tried but it doesnt seem to work

Celauran
June 29th, 2009, 07:58 PM
How do I move a .so file to a location?

mv origin destination

scrooge_74
June 29th, 2009, 08:00 PM
If I remember right, dont move it you just make a link, this is what I did last week:

go to the directory you want it to be in and then do something like this

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so

typos1
June 29th, 2009, 08:11 PM
I m supposed to "extract/unpack the package then move the libflashplayer.so file to either /home/'user'/.mozilla/plugins (make the plugins folder) or /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins, thats all you have to do to install flash." I ve tried places but when the box pops up theres no way to add a folder and dragging and dropping doesnt work

Arup
June 29th, 2009, 08:12 PM
sudo mv libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozila/plugins

typos1
June 29th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Right, I get it. But I ve got to create a new folder called plugins in mozilla first but it wont let me create one

SuperSonic4
June 29th, 2009, 08:17 PM
mkdir ~/.mozilla/plugins

or

sudo mkdir /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

Arup
June 29th, 2009, 08:22 PM
If you have Gnome Ubuntu it has Mozila insalled and that directory already exists by default.

typos1
June 29th, 2009, 08:22 PM
mkdir ~/.mozilla/pluginsor

sudo mkdir /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

Ah, I see I like commands much quicker than messing about with menus! I suppose theres a list of them all somewhere

If you have Gnome Ubuntu it has Mozila insalled and that directory already exists by default.

Yes have gnome and the directory mozilla/firefox exists but not mozilla/plugins. I m supossed to create it in mozilla. The only /mozilla I can find is this one. Not even sure if its the right one. I just want to be able to watch iplayer and for flash type vids to play properly

scrooge_74
June 29th, 2009, 08:48 PM
check again you should have several directories under /usr/lib I have directories for mozilla and firefox and those have a sub called pluggins.

If you put the so file link here then flash is enable for other users (if you have them), if you only put it inside your home folder then only you have flash.

If I'm not mistaken the guides say to link the file not move it (at least the old one I remember). And if Im not mistaken if you install the packages flash non free that is in Synaptic you dont have to manually do this. I had to do it manually cause I was installing firefox 3.5 so I had to do the linking by hand

typos1
June 29th, 2009, 08:56 PM
The package manager doesnt find it

typos1
June 29th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Stuck it in the right folder (I think) doesnt make any difference-still wont play iplayer stuff

scrooge_74
June 29th, 2009, 09:53 PM
package name is flashplugin-nonfree and is on the multiverse repositories. What I don't know if it exist for the 64 bit version.

In which directory did you put it

I was reading abour Iplayer and found this, don't know if it helps you

http://bbciplayerlinux.sourceforge.net/index.php/Main_Page

oldos2er
June 29th, 2009, 09:58 PM
There's an install script here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=772490

typos1
June 29th, 2009, 10:36 PM
I was using a guide that was slightly later- http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1121740
and another one that I cant find now

There are people who say they can ru iplayer without using Wine