PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Text displaying Incorrectly

The Tomas
June 29th, 2009, 06:51 PM
I'm having a problem with certain characters not displaying properly on my screen. This problem is not present at startup, but after loading firefox or clicking on the applications button a few times, I start to lose certain characters, they will just display as either a dark box or as a shaded box with the letter barely visable in the background. Can anyone maybe help me out as to why it is doing this and what there is I can do to resolve this issue? I am extremely new to linux, so please bare with my noobish-ness. oh fyi . ubunto 9.0.4 is what Im running.... I've also taken a screen shot of it when it was just starting to mess up, but I'm not sure how to add it to this post! it gets worse and worse as I use the computer longer and longer. please help, I love this OS, but really don't want to have to deal with guessing what things say! I will use * to depict what it's doing in the following example. right now the top of this program says "U*bunu Forums - Post New **read - Mo*illa Firefox" and it's not just specific to window names, it's in drop downs, it's in text I type, Im'd in Pidgin, anywhere text is displayed, I'm losing characters! Please help! Thanks.

- Tommy -

ajgreeny
June 29th, 2009, 08:43 PM
It's difficult to know where to begin with so little information, but firstly, what hardware do you run?

Are you using compiz, ie the 3d desktop effects? If so stop compiz with
metacity --replacein terminal and see if it removes the problem.

Come back with more info and there is a good chance something will be possible to get rid of your problem.