PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Changing application from drop down list

OllieGab
June 29th, 2009, 06:02 PM
I sometimes would like to change application to use - for instance, in Firefox, I'd like to not use the default xine to watch videos but something else - but I'm not quite sure where to find the application to use...
I got to 'other' in settings and get a drop down list, which looks more like any file manager list. How would I know where to find, for instance, Movie Player?
And how would I know which file to actually select (there are normally several files associated with any one application)?

Cheers
Ollie

mikewhatever
June 29th, 2009, 06:22 PM
There should have been a drop down list, same as in Nautilus, but there isn't. You have to manually select the executable for a program you want to use. Executables are usually located in /usr/bin, for example /usr/bin/totem. Unfortunately, browsing through them is not very convenient, because there are tons of executables in /usr/bin. I find it most convenient to type the path.

oldos2er
June 29th, 2009, 06:54 PM
"Movie Player" is /usr/bin/mplayer

OllieGab
June 29th, 2009, 08:33 PM
I clearly have Movie Player installed but there is no such file in /usr/bin.

mikewhatever
June 29th, 2009, 08:57 PM
I clearly have Movie Player installed but there is no such file in /usr/bin.

The movie player in Ubuntu/Gnome is called Totem, in other words, /usr/bin/totem. There isn't an executable called Movie Player.

OllieGab
June 29th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Ah, that makes more sense!
Thanks for that!

Ollie