PDA

View Full Version : Might be getting a netbook fairly soon...

The Toxic Mite
June 29th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Hello all!

My 15th birthday's coming up real soon, and I am trying to save up so that I can get a netbook.

Click here to see the netbook I am getting :) (http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0017592628.124628935 0@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccejadehigkjlehcflgceggdhhmdgmj.0&category_oid=-35074&sku=842012&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null)

I have been thinking about what I should do with my laptop once I get my netbook. A poll will be attached. :)

-TTM-

metalf8801
June 29th, 2009, 04:39 PM
you should keep in mind that netbooks are not notebooks they are not as powerful and much small so I would hold on to your old laptop because I'm guessing there are going to be times when you still want to use it.

ps
If you don't keep your old laptop you need to ether give it away or you need to take it to a recycling center because at least where I live its illegal to put a computer in the trash. Ether way I would wipe the hard drive first or keep the hard drive and put it in an external enclosure and use it for storage.

gjoellee
June 29th, 2009, 04:47 PM
I would sell mine

stwschool
June 29th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Keep it for tinkering, trying out other distros etc. There are loads of things you can do with an old computer!

The Toxic Mite
June 29th, 2009, 05:00 PM
I would sell mine

It's tattered. I wouldn't want to sell a tattered laptop. It still works fine though :)

Phreaker
June 29th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Keep it!
Make it a server

gn2
June 29th, 2009, 06:49 PM
A netbook is a fine handy convenient little tool, but it's not the real thing.
Keep the laptop for use at home so that you're not stuck with the (hopelessly inadequate) netbook screen resolution all the time.

aysiu
June 29th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Keep the laptop for use at home so that you're not stuck with the (hopelessly inadequate) netbook screen resolution all the time. It's perfectly adequate for me (I use it for web browsing, email, photo organization, music management, and general file browsing).

The important thing is just to know what a netbook is for and what it is not for.

The Toxic Mite
June 29th, 2009, 09:03 PM
It's perfectly adequate for me (I use it for web browsing, email, photo organization, music management, and general file browsing).

The important thing is just to know what a netbook is for and what it is not for.

I agree.

RiceMonster
June 29th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Keep it, use it. Myabe I say that because I don't want to go any smaller than 1280x800 resolution. I know its for simple thing, but still. A laptop is portable enough for me. It fits nicely in my bag.

mr-woof
June 29th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Keep it for trying out distro's etc, what's the spec?

kc3
June 29th, 2009, 09:19 PM
I personally would use it for tinkering with server things so kind've a mix, if I didn't want to do that I'd give it to someone that I thought needed it, THOUGH idk if I'd replace a laptop with a Netbook, I'd be more than happy to use a Netbook as a second PC but as a main one? idk if I'd do that

HavocXphere
June 29th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Unless your laptop is < Pentium2 chances are that someone out there wants it, so I wouldn't trash it.

gn2
June 29th, 2009, 09:38 PM

I agree, it's just a shame that despite early promise from the HP2133, all subsequent netbooks have been saddled with such low resolution screens.

aysiu
June 29th, 2009, 10:03 PM
I agree, it's just a shame that despite early promise from the HP2133, all subsequent netbooks have been saddled with such low resolution screens.
Well, whether it is a shame or not really depends on web developers. I was fine with the 800x480 on my old Eee PC until I got tired of sidescrolling. It seems an 800 pixel limit on website width is no longer in fashion. With the 1024x576 I now have on my HP Mini 1120nr, I have to sidescroll on only one or two sites I visit.

drawkcab
June 30th, 2009, 04:39 AM
I love my 9" netbook but I would never want to type for extended periods on that small keyboard.

So, keep your notebook around so that you have something to write papers with.

The Toxic Mite
July 1st, 2009, 09:31 AM
bump :P

amitabhishek
July 1st, 2009, 10:14 AM
I had almost the same dilemma as yours; I have 3 laptops (don't ask why :)) now I use one of them to try new distros. Its fun!!! Trying a new distro is somewhat like going on a new date ;). The excitement is same!