PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Suggestions for partitioning a 16GB netbook drive?

Nick255
June 29th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Any idea what the best way to partition a 16GB hard drive (for a netbook) would be? I was thinking about 1GB for hibernation, 500MB for /, 5GB for /usr and the rest for /home. Is that good or would it be better to do it some other way? I would prefer to avoid having /usr on / as it is not possible to cancel a fsck on / (you just get a prompt to either enter the root password for single user mode or reboot).

milton1
June 29th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Is this a standard drive or a flash drive? If it is a flash drive (as many netbooks are) I would skip the swap area, and thus disable hibernate. Otherwise your system may be writing to the drive more often than you would like, shortening its lifespan.

raymondh
June 29th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Any idea what the best way to partition a 16GB hard drive (for a netbook) would be? I was thinking about 1GB for hibernation, 500MB for /, 5GB for /usr and the rest for /home. Is that good or would it be better to do it some other way? I would prefer to avoid having /usr on / as it is not possible to cancel a fsck on / (you just get a prompt to either enter the root password for single user mode or reboot).

Just my thoughts ..

Below 25 GB, I would just use a straight-up install (no /home, no /usr). Your standard install (from liveCD) will take up about 4GB. I think 500mb is too small for root (/). You will see that when you make your first update post-install.

To continue with my thoughts, that leaves 12 GB for media files, settings, etc less any "administrative deductions" and post tweaks/installs. Effectively, you will have only about 10 GB for /home and /usr.

Again, just my thoughts. Now, if you really need to have /home and /usr ....

1GB for swap (if you need to hibernate)
8GB for root
rest for /home and /usr