PDA

View Full Version : Such a wonderful oppertunity?

Derek Djons
January 20th, 2006, 08:31 PM
At my work we are proud of what we are selling. Apple and Mac OS X. Though I'm self into Linux I enjoy the hardware and eye-candy and simplicity of Mac OS X. But our systems run on Microsoft Windows.

Of course I understand that a company has to choose between money, usabilty and more factors but Linux would be so ideal for us a company! The machines with Microsoft Windows are limited into the max. It's forbidden to internet on them, no email and much more.

I explained to my boss that using Linux would be ideal. It's fast, lightweight for those Celeron machines and rock-solid. We use the RDP to connect to our servers. Since Linux also supports that ... what's the problem? Our systems don't have to be backupped, we don't use other software on them.

Using Windows:
- Customers are confused.
- Unable to search info on the internet (forced to use demo mac's).
- Unable to mail from the local machine, can't react to customers asap.
- Maintaining the installation and security tools every few days.
- Unbelievable of course but... dealing with system perfomance loss.

Benefits using Linux:
- Customers are actually surprised and amused.
- Able to search info on the net without a huge risk of crippling the machine due to trojans or virusses. Also no adware / spyware.
- Able to mail from local computers, customers always appreciate fast replies.
- Maintaining the installation much easiers since the use of a packetmanager and not forced to restart after updates.
- Less performance loss compared to Windows.

I suggested this proposal to my manager who said in return: "Yes... that could be an option." And that was it. He gives me right on all points, but he rather stays sticking to the same instead of switching to something better.

Did I missed some points or is it just the way people are?

Stormy Eyes
January 20th, 2006, 08:44 PM
Did I missed some points or is it just the way people are?

It's the way some people are, and you did forget to mention time required to train/retrain your company's staff and clients. Unless everybody at your shop has Linux experience, you're going to be the Linux guru. Being the only guru in a shop can make some bosses nervous; if you're 'irreplaceable' and know it, they fear you'll start making demands.

adam.tropics
January 20th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Being the only guru in a shop can make some bosses nervous

Very true, and as a rule, people just do not trust what they do not know. This I fear often makes employers their own worst enemy, but hey what can you do.

Maybe put live cds in as many machines as you can as an 'experiment' (when the boss isn't looking of course) and just see how many people actually comment at all.

aysiu
January 20th, 2006, 09:28 PM
Can you propose to set up one test machine for a week to see how it does with the customers and staff? By the way, you may already know this, but KDE has a kiosk mode built into it.

GreyFox503
January 20th, 2006, 09:44 PM
Yes, perhaps you can the liveCDs to try out your system without making any permanent changes. If something goes wrong/doesn't work, you can always go back by rebooting the machine.

aysiu
January 20th, 2006, 09:53 PM
Being the only guru in a shop can make some bosses nervous; if you're 'irreplaceable' and know it, they fear you'll start making demands. Or at least that they would then need to scrounge around to find another Linux guru should you quit. Offices in general don't like being wholly dependent on one individual. Even if that individual doesn't quit, just calling in sick can leave everyone hanging.

You really have to think about it from your manager's standpoint and reassure him:

1. It isn't that much trouble to try
2. It will save your company money
3. You can easily enable / train others on Linux--you won't be the only "guru" around
4. It will be better for customers and save staff hassle
5. You actually know how to use Linux properly