PDA

View Full Version : a simple pogramm for a begginer in java 2

heyyy
June 29th, 2009, 11:56 AM
although i have a quite small expierience in programming i decided to learn java because i got a book from a friend
so im looking for simple ide to learn the language
any suggestions?

Eisenwinter
June 29th, 2009, 12:01 PM
IRC Bot

heyyy
June 29th, 2009, 12:10 PM
IRC Bot

??? i dont understand

4th guy
June 29th, 2009, 12:26 PM
??? i dont understand
An IRC bot is a set of scripts or an independent program that connects to Internet Relay Chat as a client, and so appears to other IRC users as another user. It differs from a regular client in that instead of providing interactive access to IRC for a human user, it performs automated functions. [source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IRC_bot)]

jespdj
June 29th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Start with a simple text editor, for example gedit (the default text editor in Ubuntu). It has syntax highlighting for Java. Don't try to learn a new programming language and the IDE at the same time, it will be overwhelming.

Here is a good set of Java tutorials: http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/

ukripper
June 29th, 2009, 12:31 PM
although i have a quite small expierience in programming i decided to learn java because i got a book from a friend
so im looking for simple ide to learn the language
any suggestions?

Best way to learn java is to use text based editor not any IDE in the beginning. You can even use GEDIT to write java programs and compile in terminal.

For full-fledged IDE you can use Netbeans or Eclipse. I like both but prefer to develop in netbeans. Both are in ubuntu repos

Sublime Porte
June 29th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Geany is a nice little IDE that has some really neat features, yet doesn't overwhelm you with all this project crap.

IT's in Ubuntu respositories, and can handle many different languages.

Features include:
Syntax highlighting
Function completion
Code folding
Function/Class sidebar
One-click compilation
etc.

Good thing is, it's about as fast as Gedit, with a ton more useful features.

heyyy
June 29th, 2009, 02:02 PM
i'll try first with gedit to see how it works and then geany
one more question how do i compile using gedit?

RiceMonster
June 29th, 2009, 02:13 PM
i'll try first with gedit to see how it works and then geany
one more question how do i compile using gedit?

You can't; it's just a text editor. You'll have to compile from the terminal using javac

Dragonbite
June 29th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Coming from using Visual Studio, Netbeans is the first thing that comes to mind.

Blacklightbulb
June 29th, 2009, 02:18 PM
What about Geany? It's simple but tends to have some bugs. Also Netbeans isn't that hard to learn. 10 minutes @ max.

Eisenwinter
June 29th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Vim.

heyyy
June 29th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Vim.

vim?
i new to the topic so i do a lot of questions.. :)

RiceMonster
June 29th, 2009, 03:23 PM
vim?
i new to the topic so i do a lot of questions.. :)

It's a console based editor. It's extremely powerful, but it you have to do a bit of reading before learning to use it properly.

Before using it, I reccomend doing

sudo apt-get install vim

then, type "vimtutor" to learn how to use it.

heyyy
June 29th, 2009, 03:24 PM
the book i have is published on 2003
does this matter at all?

heyyy
June 29th, 2009, 04:52 PM

Eisenwinter
June 29th, 2009, 05:38 PM
There is no need to bump your thread every 2 hours. Once a day or two is enough.

As far as the book's date, I have to admit that is a bit outdated, but unless the language you're trying to learn has undergone drastic changes, I doubt it matters very much.

forrestcupp
June 29th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Since you're a beginner, I definitely would not recommend vim. It will take you longer to learn how to use vim efficiently than it will to learn how to program in Java.

I'd go with one of the others mentioned, like netbeans.

Delever
June 29th, 2009, 07:14 PM
I would go with:

1. Simple program with any simple editor (gedit/geany/etc). Learn to compile on console with javac command.
2. Learn some bigger editor, like Eclipse or NetBeans, which have not only syntax highlighting and integrated compiling, but many more features.

RiceMonster
June 29th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Since you're a beginner, I definitely would not recommend vim. It will take you longer to learn how to use vim efficiently than it will to learn how to program in Java.

You're right, I should have pointed that out myself.