PDA

View Full Version : why it's awesome to be a musician and an ubuntu user

drascus
June 29th, 2009, 11:50 AM
It's awesome to be a Musician and an Ubuntu User. I find that I spend a lot of time at my computer working on my music skill and discovering new things. First of all I use a program called songbird for my music collection. and into that I have a plugin that looks up the guitar tab for the song that I am listening to. Then I download the guitarpro version and open it up in the songwrite program and learn a new song. Later on I do some recording in Ardour. I also watch instructional videos in youtube and I have all the tools at my disposal to either save them or make playlists of them in totem. the long and short if your a musician there are all these tools just a few mouse clicks away to enhance your experience.

cb951303
June 29th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Checkout tuxguitar for a really good guitar pro alternative :)

toejamfootball
June 29th, 2009, 12:29 PM
It's awesome to be a musician fullstop.

hanzomon4
June 29th, 2009, 02:45 PM
The chicks :guitar:

RiceMonster
June 29th, 2009, 03:29 PM
I've been playing guitar for 6 years. I also play keys, bass and drums (though not as well). I only use tux guitar to learn the ocasionaly song, or to tab out the music I write, though I rarely tab out my music. I haven't tried out ardour, as I've just done my personal recordings using Garage Band on my Mac.

I used to be into watching instructional videos to boost my shred skills, but I have no interest in that anymore. I prefer to write music, and I don't aim for technicality, just sounding good.

It's awesome to be a musician fullstop.

Indeed.

.Maleficus.
June 29th, 2009, 04:31 PM
One of the main things keeping me from my Arch install right now is music (creation and otherwise). For starters, I use mostly FLAC and EAC is by far the best FLAC ripper available. When I rip something to FLAC, I expect 4 things: songs, track by track (not 1 file); a log of the ripping process; an external .CUE (EAC non-compliant); and an .M3U playlist. abcde is the best Linux ripper I've found but doesn't do most of those things. On the other hand, music playback is great in Linux - between Amarok on my KDEmod install and ncmpcpp on my dwm install I have no complaints (and I use Songbird on Windows, as it's the best looking out-of-the-box FLAC player).

Now guitar is where things really get difficult. On Windows I use Guitar Pro, Riffworks T4 and FL Studio regularly. TuxGuitar looks like a decent GP alternative but how well does it handle multiple instrument tabs? Tabs with bass, drums, keys, etc. And does the sound compare to RSE in Guitar Pro? That would be another deal-breaker for me. Riffworks, as far as I can tell, has no Linux alternative, which sucks. If you haven't played with it in Windows, I'd recommend trying it out. And I wasn't aware of Ardour which looks like a decent FL Studio alternative. A couple of questions though: can it use VSTs (or AUs even)? Can you create drum tracks easily? Have any good tutorials for it :D?

Edit: And is an ASIO driver required for recording?

Skripka
June 29th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Why it sucks to be a musician and a linux user:

There is NO music notation software that is anywhere close to the professional quality of Finale or Sibelius-and niether tends to run well enough in Wine to be suitable.

toejamfootball
June 29th, 2009, 11:59 PM
Why it sucks to be a musician and a linux user:

There is NO music notation software that is anywhere close to the professional quality of Finale or Sibelius-and niether tends to run well enough in Wine to be suitable.
Yeah I really Sibelius was made for Linux.