PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Boot off of CD?

Fragbot
June 29th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Ok, let me first explain my problem and how I was led into these forums.

I was having issues with my PC earlier today, and I haven't reinstalled Windows in a while, so I figured today was the day. I popped in my Windows XP pro disk and booted from it. I deleted my C drive partition, because I wanted a fully new install. I started it all up, and everything was going smooth. At about 20% on the setup, it bluescreened and told me a file was corrupted. I failed to write down this filename, so I have no idea which one it was. I then rebooted and tried to do another fresh install. This time, before the install started, it prompted me to insert a valid windows XP disk, to "prove" that I hada valid copy of Windows XP. I bought my copy of XP pro, so I'm not sure what was happening. I have no idea if this is a CD drive issue where it can't "read" the disk, but that wouldn't make sense because it reads it enough to let me boot from it, you know? So now I'm left with a HDD with no operating system, and unable to install XP. So I figured I'd resort to Ubuntu, considering I've heard lots of good things about it. I spent some time searching the forums but came up empty handed.

I need to know if there is a way to boot up and install from the Ubuntu disk, since I can't access XP to install over it. Please any ideas, even to fix my XP would help.

lotster
June 29th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Hi!

Well, unfortunately I can't help with the XP issue, I have no idea what could cause Windows validation problems even after you deleted the partition... You could always try a program such as GParted to re-partition again, maybe something went wrong there.

However, as far as switching to Ubuntu is concerned, it's a great idea. I recently switched from Windows to Ubuntu, and I can totally do everything I always did with Windows, and most of it using a default installation with no additional software!

To answer your question, yes, you can boot to the CD or DVD and do an installation just as with Windows. However, I recommend you run the Live CD (option 1 in the boot menu) first. Yes, it's slow, but it will show you what your hardware will do under Ubuntu.