PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain what happend on our network today

ade234uk
January 20th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Today I got in to work and fired up all the machines. Do you really think I would leave them on overnight with all the dust inside? And before anyone flames me we run Windows.

Anyway for some strange we could only access a handful of websites. It was exactly the same on each machine. For instance we could all access google but not Yahoo. We could all access btinternet.com but no btconnect.com

After fiddling with Firewalls and scratching my head for half an hour, I then decided to unplug the cable from the router to the hub, I then plugged it back in and everything ran as normal.

It seemed that the whole network was caught in some sort of loop. Has anyone else ever seen this before and if so do you know why this happens?

Derek Djons
January 20th, 2006, 07:46 PM
You could always try to read out the log files from your router.
Maybe it had something to do with the lease time... but that just a small guess!

ssam
January 20th, 2006, 08:16 PM
i had a similar problem with my adls connection a few months ago. just a few sites would not work, their IPs could be resolved but they could not be pinged.

it turned out to be a problem with a routing table at the ISP, and was fixed in a few days.