PDA

View Full Version : I don't have permission to copy files to themes?

Cydia
June 29th, 2009, 05:16 AM
So I've downloaded the WASP 0.7.1 theme from Gnome-Look and I would like to install it. I'm following the instructions on the page and it says I need to copy the files into. var/share/themes put when I do it say's I don't have permission. So I view the permissions and it says the root and create, delete and access the files. I go to System>Administration>Users and Groups and I click myself and view properties>Advanced and set myself as the root "main group". I'm not sure if I'm doing it right but that makes sense to me but it still won't allow me to copy the files.

I'm the only user on my NetBook.

sharkbite1414
June 29th, 2009, 06:23 AM
open a terminal and type:

sudo cp <WASP's file location> /var/share/themes

mdgrech
June 29th, 2009, 06:24 AM
The files are owned by root, your an admin user but not the root thus you can't add/modify those directories. You need to open nautilus (the file browser) as root.

Use this command:
sudo nautilus

Go ahead and copy over what you need.

Lorem Ipsum
June 30th, 2009, 06:32 AM
Hi Cydia!

If the theme you are trying to install is this:

http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Wasp?content=104167

...well, i'm the author of the theme :)

i don't know where you have read "var/share/themes", but the correct one is "/usr/share/themes/".

Here is 4 simple steps to install Wasp (or likely any other theme):

1) press Alt+F2 on you keyboard
2) a dialog should appear, in the entry field insert "gksu nautilus /usr/share/themes/" and press Enter
3) maybe you will be asked to insert your user password, provide it
4) a Nautilus window should appear in to the correct directory, now just copy "Wasp", "Wasp-Alt" and "Wasp-Hard" directory there

If you still having problem don't hesitate to ask :)

ciao!

Seq
June 30th, 2009, 06:38 AM
As noted on the themes page, you can copy it to "~/.themes". Since this is in your home directory, you have write permissions to it. Also, it is easier to back up /home and ensure you have everything for when you upgrade or migrate to a new machine.

Cydia
June 30th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Thank you everyone for your help, my HP Mini is running great with Ubuntu better than it would ever run Windows. Lorem Ipsum I bow to you for making such a beautiful theme.