PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] possibility to dual boot ubuntu and xubuntu?

cirabisi2009
June 29th, 2009, 03:59 AM
yes indeed, i want to dual boot ubuntu and xubuntu. why? i honestly just want to explore what each one has ( kubuntu, xubuntu, edubuntu, and fedora 10 ) . i already realized that wubi will not allow this. and i cannot find a .iso for each one of these, only ubuntu ( i honestly havent explored for fedora ).
but thank you for the help guys <edit> and girls :)

zeroseven0183
June 29th, 2009, 04:04 AM
yes indeed, i want to dual boot ubuntu and xubuntu. why? i honestly just want to explore what each one has ( kubuntu, xubuntu, edubuntu, and fedora 10 ) . i already realized that wubi will not allow this. and i cannot find a .iso for each one of these, only ubuntu ( i honestly havent explored for fedora ).
but thank you for the help guys <edit> and girls :)

Of course you can download .ISOs for each of the flavors you mentioned. If you're already using Ubuntu, you can download/install Xubuntu with

sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktopIf you want to switch desktops, log out from that session and select the other from the log in screen.

cirabisi2009
June 29th, 2009, 04:07 AM
indeed, but i did forget to mention i am also booting windows xp? so maybe like a multi-bootable ? and im guessing that command line, i can just substitute the xubuntu with another flavor name to boot from as well?

brewkakke
June 29th, 2009, 04:37 AM
It doesn't matter, it's not really dual-booting in the same sense as running two operating systems. You still have the same Linux kernel, it's basically just installing the xfce desktop in addition to the gnome desktop.

I have Ubuntu and Kubuntu running right now. When you install the other one, just logout and on the bottom left of the login screen you can click "Options" and then choose another session. You'll see a selection for GNOME or XFCE desktop, just choose your poison and it will ask you if you want to make it the default for everytime you login.

I'd take the route of installing Ubuntu first and then installing Xubuntu from the terminal in Ubuntu. Just go by the instructions zeroseven posted.

~sHyLoCk~
June 29th, 2009, 04:42 AM
Youcan just install different Desktop Environments and try them out. If you already have ubuntu{which is GNOME} then you can download xubuntu-desktop and also kde4 from synaptic

cirabisi2009
July 7th, 2009, 12:20 AM
sudo apt-get install easypeasy-desktop

will that work? and

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

and will that work?

DCGStudios
July 7th, 2009, 12:25 AM
It really does not make much sense to do this unless you plan on playing with different versions of Ubuntu. Follow the steps given from the posts before me and just log out and press "Change session" to change your desktop/window manager. That way your not stuck complicating yourself with dual booting and having to restart just to change something as simple as a desktop manager.

cirabisi2009
July 7th, 2009, 12:33 AM
plan on playing with different versions of Ubuntu.

thats what im gonna do, i just wasnt sure if those would properly install those flavors or would it just put a bunch of unnecessary stuff on my computer