PDA

View Full Version : [other] Is this possible?

dman777
June 29th, 2009, 12:43 AM
A linux is system running great on a Macbook pro. Then a update is given, and a hardware driver(not talking software...strictly hardware) that used to work is updated and no longer works on the Macbook pro. Has this ever happened or is this possible? I am trying to cover all corners before I buy a Macbook pro.

luigi.viggiano
June 29th, 2009, 02:47 AM
A linux is system running great on a Macbook pro. Then a update is given, and a hardware driver(not talking software...strictly hardware) that used to work is updated and no longer works on the Macbook pro. Has this ever happened or is this possible? I am trying to cover all corners before I buy a Macbook pro.

I bought a mbp 5.1 and... if you want to run Linux my personal suggestion to get another laptop; I had ubuntu 9.4 run with no issues on a ibm thinkpad that I use for everyday work, but some friends reported everything working fine out of the box with dell. Apple provide a DVD with OSX that also include drivers for Windows if you want to use it with bootcamp. Until they don't collaborate in the same way for having people running linux on their hardware... why spending so much more money to have a broken laptop?
About OSX, at the beginning I was loving it, but then I realized that for working (develop) it's very bad; good only for home usage, as user interface it sucks, imho.