PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Video Display Drivers Issue

ColemanK
June 28th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Hello. This is slightly generic.
I am a complete newbie when it comes to Ubuntu. I've used Wubbi to install it on top of Windows.

When I got the latest live CD (9.04), I put it into the slot, started my computer up, and it worked well. The only problem was the resolution and refresh rate. The refresh rate was 0 and the resolution was lower than in Windows. I couldn't change these 'options'.

I went to Hardware Drivers and downloaded the first nVidia display driver. There were 2 more. One of them was a useless one which you were only supposed to use if you have problems with your wireless LAN, the other an older version of the one I downloaded.

It said I had to restart, so I did, but it was a live CD so the update did nothing. I ended up just installing Wubbi.

The installation was a success, but when I went into hardware drivers, the only one there was the crappy useless one called Alternative Atheros "madwifi" driver. I couldn't find any of the other drivers.

Specs:
Compaq Presario CQ60-208CA
AMD Sempron SI-40 2.10 GHz
3 Gb RAM
nVidia 8200M G

I bought the computer in April. How can I get the driver?

ColemanK
June 28th, 2009, 11:27 PM
Problem solved. Had to update, restart, enable, disable wireless, connect to wired internet, enter a couple of console commands.

Temposs
June 29th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Self-sufficient newbies! Now that's what I'm talking about :-)

QIII
June 29th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Ah! Success!

You see? Being a "noob" does not mean "stupid".

We were all in your shoes once!

Welcome to Ubuntu.