PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_studio] File extension for H.264 files???

emarkay
June 28th, 2009, 11:14 PM
Is it .h246 or .avc, or what?

starcraft.man
June 29th, 2009, 12:10 AM
Is it .h246 or .avc, or what?

Huh? H.264 is not a file extension. It's a codec for video compression. Read here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264). The extension is usually tied to the container you put your video, audio and/or subtitle streams in.

You can use MKV a good container for 264 encoding, as well as MP4 the closed standard.

If you elaborate on what you want to do, I can offer more advice. Video encoding can be a large and expansive topic and requires a lot of knowledge to understand.

shirilover
June 29th, 2009, 05:36 AM
H.264 raw video streams are usually in the form video_file.264

emarkay
June 29th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Huh? H.264 is not a file extension. It's a codec for video compression. Read here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264). The extension is usually tied to the container you put your video, audio and/or subtitle streams in.

You can use MKV a good container for 264 encoding, as well as MP4 the closed standard.

If you elaborate on what you want to do, I can offer more advice. Video encoding can be a large and expansive topic and requires a lot of knowledge to understand.

I knew that and that is why I amconfused. Using VLC to transcode an AVI file with H.264, is it still an AVI file? That's the reason for my question.

I created .avc and .h264 extensions and used "open with" to get these extensions to open in VLC, but I just wondered what others are doing.

Thanks.

moster
June 29th, 2009, 01:56 PM
I can tell you this... .avi is used because backward compatibility. For example because standalone divix players. It will be obsolete soon.

.mkv is used in 95% new HDTV movies that you can find on internet. mkv is more modern container than avi. Usually it hold bluray rips that floating around on torrent. I would use that if I am "backing up" some movie or something. It is next generation audio/video container and it is open standard :)