PDA

View Full Version : Why are there so many requests for account deactivation in the Resolution Center?

Blood//Stain//Child
June 28th, 2009, 10:26 PM
I have just read through a few posts, and there seem to be a lot of those requests.

Is this normal for these forums?

cariboo
June 28th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Most of them are users with more than one user name, which goes against the forum Code of Conduct. (http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php?page=policy)

Blood//Stain//Child
June 28th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Most of them are users with more than one user name, which goes against the forum Code of Conduct. (http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php?page=policy)

I see. But why aren't staff/moderators voted for, and elected by the forums users?

Tipped OuT
June 28th, 2009, 10:59 PM
I see. But why aren't staff/moderators voted for, and elected by the forums users?

Well that's a completely off topic question, but, I would think it's because people would get voted as a moderator or a staff member based on popularity and not because they are actually suitable for the job.

kevdog
June 28th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Election of staff members is not a democratic process. They are named by the forum administrators.

Blood//Stain//Child
June 28th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Election of staff members is not a democratic process. They are named by the forum administrators.

Given the community based nature of Ubuntu, maybe it should be.

starcannon
June 28th, 2009, 11:09 PM
I think the boards are awesome, I have no idea why one should want to fix something that is not broken.

Mehall
June 28th, 2009, 11:17 PM
I think the boards are awesome, I have no idea why one should want to fix something that is not broken.

I like the forums, but often feel the moderation is heavy handed at best.

Just because the entirety of something is working well, doesn't mean a small part of it cannot be improved.

NOTE: not saying democratically elected mods is necessarily a better method, just saying that the current method might not be the best.

HavocXphere
June 28th, 2009, 11:26 PM
No thanks. These things can get seriously messy and the end result is a bunch of undercurrents & animosity in discussions.

Also, I think this is one of those areas where "If its not broken don't mess with it" applies.

cariboo
June 28th, 2009, 11:36 PM
This forum is privately owned. Canonical supplies the hardware it runs on. I beleive it is up to the owner how moderators are chosen.

Blood//Stain//Child
June 28th, 2009, 11:45 PM
This forum is privately owned. Canonical supplies the hardware it runs on. I beleive it is up to the owner how moderators are chosen.

Curious. Does ubuntu-geek still own these forums, even though they run on Canonical's server(s)?

aesis05401
June 29th, 2009, 12:07 AM

There are some sites out there playing with multi-tiered moderation to establish ranks, but all of them can be gamed very easily.

Until that art is advanced further this place is nice the way it is. Thanks to all who maintain it.

Edit: Blech. Replied to wrong post ;)

aesis05401
June 29th, 2009, 12:15 AM
Curious. Does ubuntu-geek still own these forums, even though they run on Canonical's server(s)?

A search engine should do fine for info like that, right?

73ckn797
June 29th, 2009, 12:23 AM

+1 and so it should be.

Blood//Stain//Child
June 29th, 2009, 12:32 AM
A search engine should do fine for info like that, right?

Wrong. Try following your own advice before posting smug replies.

aesis05401
June 29th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Wrong. Try following your own advice before posting smug replies.

You're comments come across as aggressive.

Remember we can't hear your tone of voice.

Blood//Stain//Child
June 29th, 2009, 12:39 AM
You're comments come across as aggressive.

Remember we can't hear your tone of voice.

How exactly does that post come across as aggressive?

Please explain.

Tipped OuT
June 29th, 2009, 01:16 AM
How exactly does that post come across as aggressive?

Please explain.

Refer to the CoC.

Be respectful of all users at all times. This means please use etiquette and politeness. Treat people with kindness and gentleness. If you do this the rest of the code of conduct won't need more than a cursory mention.

CoC: http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php?page=policy

aesis05401
June 29th, 2009, 01:40 AM
Refer to the CoC.

I would like to mention that I made a couple of assumptions - simply because the information came up immediately during my search does not mean the other user has the same access.

Anyone interested in further information could check out the UbuntuForums 'about' page.

I was actually anticipating something of a joke when the other user realized they were 2 clicks from the info they wanted ;)

I didn't mean to incite with my initial reply re: using a search engine.

Blood//Stain//Child
June 29th, 2009, 01:40 AM
Refer to the CoC.

I've read the CoC. My post was not aggressive.

Blood//Stain//Child
June 29th, 2009, 01:42 AM
I would like to mention that I made a couple of assumptions - simply because the information came up immediately during my search does not mean the other user has the same access.

Anyone interested in further information could check out the UbuntuForums 'about' page.

I was actually anticipating something of a joke when the other user realized they were 2 clicks from teh info ;)

Sorry if it caused friction.

?

Tipped OuT
June 29th, 2009, 01:46 AM
I've read the CoC. My post was not aggressive.

I never said it was, I was just referring to you, and any one else, to the CoC, and what is expected from a forum user here, so there's no confusion.

And "aesis05401" ,in his last post, was apologizing and saying he meant it as a joke.

Any ways, your original question has been answered.

/thread

Blood//Stain//Child
June 29th, 2009, 01:49 AM
I never said it was, I was just referring to you, and any one else, to the CoC, and what is expected from a forum user here, so there's no confusion.

And "aesis05401" was apologizing to you in that last post.

Any ways, your original question has been answered.

/thread

My mistake. I didn't realise that was the same user who said my post was aggressive.

As for everything else, I agree with Tipped ouT, my question has been answered.

dmizer
June 29th, 2009, 02:06 AM
As for everything else, I agree with Tipped ouT, my question has been answered.

Thank you all for participating.