PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] aac (m4a) in rythymbox

cjtaylor12
June 28th, 2009, 08:56 PM
I am importing CD's into rythymbox but want to save the files as AAC's. I also have a bunch of iTunes music files (unprotected) on an external hard drive that I had saved from a broken windows pc. How do I get rythymbox to save the files as m4a? and how do I enable it to play files already in that format? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

starcraft.man
June 28th, 2009, 09:20 PM
I'm pretty sure it's set from Edit > Preferences > Music Tab > Preferred Music > Drop down should include AAC .m4a.

Personally, I'd just rip to MP3 with1 192 or 256, more than enough quality for my ears and MP3 support is more constant.

If you don't see the option, you probably don't have the codec installed, install the ubuntu-restricted-extras package via terminal or synaptic. Open synaptic (System > Admin > Synaptic) search for "ubuntu-restricted-extras" then right click and mark for install. Then apply and should all work.

cjtaylor12
June 28th, 2009, 10:02 PM
I had found the preferences to change it, but aac was not an option. adding the restricted extras did the trick. thanks for your help.