PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Updates confusing wireless cards

dArAzAc
June 28th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Hello,

I've a vanilla install of Ubuntu Jaunty which I reinstalled because (with my original install) Ubuntu stopped recognizing my wireless card only after performing a package update. Normally I would just check install every update, but never again. I tried various ways to get the card back up until I eventually gave up (I have a troublesom Broadcom card).

Well now I am obviously hesitant to update my system, but I still want to be up-to-date. Which updates could cause a potential interference with the detection of my wireless card?

starcraft.man
June 28th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Do you know exactly which packages you installed that broke your wireless support? As you noted, I really don't recommend not updating from any given point, this means you won't receive security fixes or updates in functionality.

I'm gonna go out on a limb though and guess that the only two packages that could have caused this trouble would be network-manager and/or wpasupplicant, and it's probably the latter. One possible solution (though not ideal by any means) is to do a vanilla install and then lock the version of wpasupplicant so that it never updates. The procedure to lock a package is simple:

Open synaptic (System > Admin > Synaptic) then search for the package in question. In this case, wpasupplicant, in the search bar. Then, click on it to highlight it in the pane and go Package Menu > Lock version. Then apply. This should solve the problem, you can process all future updates.

I'd like to note that it's better to get the actual problem fixed however. Can you post more details on your situation, more = better. The details of your network for instance? The exact network hardware your using (router and NICs in machines)? I don't run on any broadcom cards at home so can't help much more unfortunately. Post it anyway, and hopefully a more experienced wireless user can give assistance.

Best of luck.

dArAzAc
June 28th, 2009, 11:21 PM
Do you know exactly which packages you installed that broke your wireless support?

I'm gonna go out on a limb though and guess that the only two packages that could have caused this trouble would be network-manager and/or wpasupplicant, and it's probably the latter. One possible solution (though not ideal by any means) is to do a vanilla install and then lock the version of wpasupplicant so that it never updates.

Can you post more details on your situation, more = better. The details of your network for instance? The exact network hardware your using (router and NICs in machines)? I don't run on any broadcom cards at home so can't help much more unfortunately. Post it anyway, and hopefully a more experienced wireless user can give assistance.

I'm not sure which updates broke it as a had a slew of them to add post-install. I tried this again, but this time locking wpasupplicant and network-manager (as to your suggestion. The same thing happened.

Here are some things that may help you help me. Let me know if there is any other info that I can provide.

Diagnoses: Ubuntu seems to fail to recognize my Wifi Card. When I select the network manager tray icon it reads:
Wireless Networks wireless is disabled

There is also an option to manage a VPN connection(?)
Wifi Card:

0e:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g (rev 01)ifconfig:

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:24:e8:a3:18:e2
inet addr:192.168.1.108 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::224:e8ff:fea3:18e2/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:1162 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:1183 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:1144931 (1.1 MB) TX bytes:255088 (255.0 KB)
Interrupt:248

eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:22:5f:a2:4d:f7
inet6 addr: fe80::222:5fff:fea2:4df7/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
Interrupt:18

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:4 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:4 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:240 (240.0 B) TX bytes:240 (240.0 B)
iwconfig:

lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

eth1 IEEE 802.11 Nickname:""
Access Point: Not-Associated
Link Quality:5 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
Rx invalid nwid:0 invalid crypt:0 invalid misc:0

pan0 no wireless extensions.