PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Places > Bookmarks

Anybloodyid
June 28th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Hi

Under the menu heading Places there is a bookmarks and in there are folders.
Hoe do I get the out of there and just have the folders show when I click places?

Thanks

VCoolio
June 28th, 2009, 07:43 PM
If your number of bookmarks grows larger than a certain number (5 if I remember correctly) then they are automatically stored in a folder 'bookmarks'. No way around that.

nhasian
June 28th, 2009, 07:46 PM
make sure you have 5 or less bookmarks and they will show up in Places. if you have 6 or more they get put in the bookmarks subfolder.

mc4man
June 29th, 2009, 12:01 AM
You can very easily build the repo gnome-panel source making 1 small edit and have as many entries as you wish (10 - 20 should suffice)

here's a post on it though there's a much easier, cleaner way to build (I think it's far better to build as a package, and in this case requires no prior building experience, 3-4 simple terminal commands and 1 edit

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1066964

Just did on a jaunty live cd, works fine. (use hardy so wanted to see if any differences in edit, build

The easiest edit is line 64 in gnome-panel-2.26.0/gnome-panel/panel-menu-items.c (change 5 to the number desired

#define BOOKMARKS_FILENAME ".gtk-bookmarks"
#define DESKTOP_IS_HOME_DIR_DIR "/apps/nautilus/preferences"
#define DESKTOP_IS_HOME_DIR_KEY "/apps/nautilus/preferences/desktop_is_home_dir"
#define NAMES_DIR "/apps/nautilus/desktop"
#define HOME_NAME_KEY "/apps/nautilus/desktop/home_icon_name"
#define COMPUTER_NAME_KEY "/apps/nautilus/desktop/computer_icon_name"
#define MAX_ITEMS_OR_SUBMENU 5

To build as the same version package as is currently installed is quite simple and allows you to revert back to the original very easily if you don't like it. (if instr. are wanted will post

edit ;
If you want to test, (though you can do the build for yourself in 15 -20 min. tops), this is the current jaunty i386 gnome-panel patched for 20 entries. It's done as same version # so will install as a 'reinstallion'..
While seen as the same version, the orig. repo package will still be considered an 'upgrade', to revert back simply let synaptic or update manger 'update' to the unpatched repo version.

Don't let Gdebi try to install from this link, 'save file' to Desktop and d.click to install.

After install log out and back in to 'activate'
When built as a package there are 6 packages produced, this is the only one needed if you don't up the version number.

If you up the version # (ex. 2.26.0-0ubuntu7-1) then a min. of 2 or 3 of the 6 need to be installed, the -devs kept in case needed, better to keep same ver. #, "reinstall' only the patched gnome-panel deb and lock in synaptic if desired to prevent an inadvertent 'upgrade