PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] i want to check if my hard drive is working properly

heyyy
June 28th, 2009, 09:37 AM
so any suggestions?

heyyy
June 28th, 2009, 09:42 AM
also my system had a hard drive check so i want to know if it found a problem or is just routine check?

SunnyRabbiera
June 28th, 2009, 09:51 AM
the fsck that comes up is normal, every 20 or so boots it will check the disk for errors.
If there was an error it would have told you, but if it booted in just fine after the check its all good.

rraj.be
June 28th, 2009, 09:58 AM
you can try

sudo hdparm

3rdalbum
June 28th, 2009, 11:16 AM
so any suggestions?

If you're using it, and everything seems fine, then it is physically fine.

If you've just had an automatic filesystem check happen on bootup, then in terms of data integrity it is fine too.

heyyy
June 30th, 2009, 04:37 PM
the fsck that comes up is normal, every 20 or so boots it will check the disk for errors.
If there was an error it would have told you, but if it booted in just fine after the check its all good.

well it did 3 three times in a row when it booted saying that is a routine check thas why im concerned

oldos2er
June 30th, 2009, 06:07 PM
well it did 3 three times in a row when it booted saying that is a routine check thas why im concerned

Do you mean it checked the same partition three times?

heyyy
June 30th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Do you mean it checked the same partition three times?

each time that i rebooted it it checked the filesystem saying it was a routine check

K.Y.A
June 30th, 2009, 06:32 PM
This means it found errors. You need to boot the livecd, because you CANNOT fsck an active filesystem properly. It will give you a big fat warning message.

Boot the livecd, and fist thing, open a terminal and type:

sudo -i

This will drop you into a root shell, I highly recommended you press ctrl+D after you are done here so you accidentally don't type in something that could harm your system. Now, type this:

fdisk -l

that -l is a Lower case L. it should spit out a bunch of partitions. Look for your hard drive (if you only have one, one will be listed). Find teh one that says *Linux* to the right of the one that says ext3, on the same line. It should be like /dev/sda1. Now, once you figure out what drive and partition you would like to scan, type this:

fsck /dev/sda1

fsck is the command, and scans the device /dev/sda with the first partition. If you would like to scan the secon partition (most likely swap space) the command would be

fsck /dev/sda2

and so on. /dev/sdb would be your second drive, and then a number constituing to the correct partition. Your welcome ;)

Polaris96
June 30th, 2009, 06:41 PM
bonnie++ is a good hdd test program. also hdparm and fsck, as others have mentioned