PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu/ Wine noob...

CharlesWelsh
June 28th, 2009, 04:30 AM
Okay... im trying to figure out if i can run applications such as Myspace im in wine... or if its even used for that... I feel like im gonna get a great reception since im a noob... but any help would be appreciated... Thank you in a advance -Cj

philcamlin
June 28th, 2009, 04:32 AM
hi and welcome to the forums

yes wine is used to run windows programs inside of ubuntu like ms word 2007 etc...

have fun and good luck :)

CharlesWelsh
June 28th, 2009, 04:36 AM
thank you. i didnt want to try and possibly mess up my newly installed os ^^ Thank you for the advice...

kixome
June 28th, 2009, 04:38 AM
Some us love noobs here, You, to someone like me, are viewed as another possible complete convert! We all love linux users.

CharlesWelsh
June 28th, 2009, 04:44 AM
Okay... I appreciate the hospitality... However I am still encountering problems. I did exactly as I was told "Applications -> Wine-> Programs-> Myspace-> Myspace IM..." and it did open and run on my desktop... But I am not able to actually log on. I know my credentials are correct... I'm kinda curious if its only certain types of Windows programs Wine can run. Or is it just a error on my end? It says that it is a firewall issue... But I have NO knowledge of where to look for let alone configure a firewall in Ubuntu. (Today is my first day as a Linux user, and so far I like it... once i get a better understanding I think i'll appreciate Linux a heck of alot more) Thanks in advance -CJ

ad_267
June 28th, 2009, 05:41 AM
According to the Wine application database MyspaceIM doesn't work well with Wine: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=5007

But from this page: http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/MySpaceIM, it looks like Pidgin should be able to support the MyspaceIM protocol by default in Ubuntu, the Pidgin version in Ubuntu 9.04 is 2.5.5.

Edit: Yup just checked and Pidgin has the option to add a MySpace account, so there's need to install MyspaceIM through Wine.