PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu on a mac Wireless problems

kcaz
June 28th, 2009, 03:48 AM
OK so I'm running Ubuntu on a mac, I have 2 partitions, the mac and ubuntu. The ubuntu is actually just windows from boot camp, and then I installed Ubuntu over Windows.

Anyways the wireless internet isen't working. I think I've heard of some of these problems before, but I was just wondering what the general consenses is.

I have a modem, and on other computers and the mac partition of my computer the internet works fine, but ubuntu wont reconize it. When I stick an eithernet cable from the modem to the computer however the internet works fine.

Any suggestions?
~Kcaz

philcamlin
June 28th, 2009, 03:51 AM
what mac ? and what wireless card ?

kcaz
June 28th, 2009, 03:59 AM
It is an new Intel based MacBook with a Broadcom bcm4328 wireless card. It says "This networking card is activated but not in use" I can't get any internet.

Thanks
~kcaz

tlois
June 28th, 2009, 10:26 PM
I hope you read this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1198702

gregorthebigmac
February 26th, 2010, 10:56 PM
OK so I'm running Ubuntu on a mac, I have 2 partitions, the mac and ubuntu. The ubuntu is actually just windows from boot camp, and then I installed Ubuntu over Windows.

Anyways the wireless internet isen't working. I think I've heard of some of these problems before, but I was just wondering what the general consenses is.

I have a modem, and on other computers and the mac partition of my computer the internet works fine, but ubuntu wont reconize it. When I stick an eithernet cable from the modem to the computer however the internet works fine.

Any suggestions?
~Kcaz

I'm having the exact same problem, running the same setup. Dual-booted mac OS and Karmic Koala. Got the Broadcom 4328 card. Under

System>Admin>Hardware Drivers

it says "Activated, but not in use." Looked at over a dozen threads, mostly saying to deactivate driver, reboot, activate driver, reboot, works. Saw a couple other methods to try, so far, all has failed.

I'm out of ideas.

linuxopjemac
February 27th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Uninstall your broadcom driver and follow this post:

http://mac.linux.be/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30&p=42&hilit=broadcom#p42

gregorthebigmac
February 28th, 2010, 12:56 AM
Yes. Tried that, as well. Had trouble getting it to compile. Finally gave up, and wiped the OS, put a fresh install on, used the cd to activate the drivers, rebooted, works fine now. I'm actually posting this from that very laptop, via wifi card :)