PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_studio] Any improvements with USB & Firewire post version 8.04?

jukingeo
June 28th, 2009, 03:15 AM
Hello all,

I have been away from the forum for a while. I have Ubuntu Studio and I am still using version 8.04 Hardy Heron. There were many problems I had with Jack and getting the sound to work properly. I did end up getting an M-Audio Delta 44 that did work with Jack, so for the most part I am good.

However, I do admit I am a bit scared to upgrade to the newer versions of Ubuntu (which I believe is up to 9.04 now). I am afraid that I will knock something out of whack.

I have thought about setting up another Ubuntu machine for dedicated studio use, BUT I am wondering if there has been any improvements with the way Ubuntu handles USB and Firewire devices. Last time I recall, USB was hit and miss leaning mostly towards the 'miss' side of things. Firewire did look promising with the changeover from FreeBOB to FFADO. However FFADO didn't come with Ubuntu and was a pain to set up.

So all in all I am wondering how Ubuntu versions 8.10 and 9.04 are up to the USB/Firewire task. Is it much easier to set up now, or is there still a lot of hoop jumping?

Thank You,

Geo