PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] When ever I try to Install New Software Or Updates I Get This Message..

GummyBearCrisis
June 28th, 2009, 01:47 AM
file:///home/linux/Pictures/What%2520Does%2520This%2520Mean.pngI always get the same message for anything that I have to install.

I used to get a message that told me I had to close any other installer application but there wasn't any other one open.

Can anyone help me out?

Response to 'philcamlin':
I do that but then I get This;
linux@ubuntu:~$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
[sudo] password for linux:
dpkg: parse error, in file `/var/lib/dpkg/updates/0067' near line 12:
missing package name
linux@ubuntu:~$

philcamlin
June 28th, 2009, 01:50 AM
go to terminal and run

sudo dpkg --configure -a

:popcorn::popcorn:

drs305
June 28th, 2009, 01:50 AM
It means it wants you to run this command:

sudo dpkg --configure -a

To clear up an installation. You can look at "man dpkg" to read what it does.

GummyBearCrisis
June 28th, 2009, 01:54 AM
I do that but then all of this shows up. :(

linux@ubuntu:~$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
[sudo] password for linux:
dpkg: parse error, in file `/var/lib/dpkg/updates/0067' near line 12:
missing package name
linux@ubuntu:~$

drs305
June 28th, 2009, 02:23 AM
I do that but then all of this shows up. :(

OK. It may look like you aren't making progress but you are! When you ran the "sudo dpkg --configure -a" command it allowed APT (the installer) to progress to the next stage.

When it got there, it found some errors in the next set of files - in this case in "/var/lib/dpkg/updates/0067". You could inspect this file but you may not understand it (nor may many of us) or there could be a lot of other files with errors.

So, we will go to that folder, rename the file so it isn't looked at, and see if that was the only problem:

sudo mv /var/lib/dpkg/updates/0067 /var/lib/dpkg/updates/0067.bad
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade # update the package list and upgrade existing packages.

See if you get any more errors. If you get more errors for other files in "updates", you may want to rename the entire "updates" folder with this command:

sudo mv /var/lib/dpkg/updates /var/lib/dpkg/updates.bad
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade