PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Trouble dual booting vista/ubuntu

SSgtSeuss
June 27th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Heya,

So I decided to finally take a look at Linux and decided to go with Ubuntu. I'm a big gamer, so I didn't want to make the full jump just yet, so I decided to try to do a dual boot.

I downloaded the latest ISO and burned it to a CD. Got Ubuntu installed on my portable hard drive with no problems. After the install and a reboot, I got up and running. To test out the dual boot, I restarted the system and booted back into Vista. After making sure Vista was working (as) properly (as it can,) I restarted again and... My portable hard drive is no longer recognized as a bootable drive by BIOS.

So after about 8 hours so far of searching the net, I've discovered that I can boot Ubuntu from the LiveCD, and set grub root to the portable hard drive and reboot... And my portable hard drive is recognized again and works fine. Next restart though, and the drive isn't recognized again and I have to start the whole process over.

In short:

I can run Vista fine any time
To run Ubuntu, I have to start the LiveCD, use the root & setup commands in terminal and reboot... Every time I want to boot Ubuntu.

Normally I don't come to forums because it's all been said before... But I'm stumped after hours of searching =/

Thanks for the help!