PDA

View Full Version : playing music C++

Woody1987
June 27th, 2009, 11:44 PM
Im writing a program which at some point will play any number of mp3 files. I want to use Alsa or pulseaudio (which do you recommend?) as the backend. I have the headers for both installed. Could someone write some basic C++ showing how to load an mp3 file and play it using either alsa or pulse or point me to a tutorial elsewhere? Thanks.

monraaf
June 28th, 2009, 12:18 AM
I would recommend using a higher level framework such as GStreamer :) But if the choice is between alsa and pulse, I would probably use alsa since it seems more widespread, at least in the Linux world that is.

Woody1987
June 28th, 2009, 12:20 AM
how would gstreamer work? does it use alsa? or can i specify what it uses? or is it different entirely to both alsa and pulse?

monraaf
June 28th, 2009, 12:32 AM
GStreamer is different, what you do is create a pipeline, put elements in it (e.g filesrc decodebin audioconvert alsasink) link the elements together and run the pipeline, it will run the whole media pipeline in a different thread.

Woody1987
June 28th, 2009, 12:33 AM
ok thx, could you point me to any good tutorials on this?

monraaf
June 28th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Sure.

http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/manual/html/index.html

Woody1987
June 28th, 2009, 12:40 AM
sweet, thx

SledgeHammer_999
June 28th, 2009, 01:11 AM
how would gstreamer work? does it use alsa? or can i specify what it uses? or is it different entirely to both alsa and pulse?

yes you can specify Gstreamer what to use. The sink-element of your pipeline controls where the audio is outputted(when you're familiar with gstreamer terminology you'll understand what I am talking about).

Woody1987
June 28th, 2009, 01:22 AM
Having looked over some of the documentation ive noticed that its all in C, im hoping to make a QT app which requires c++. Is it possible to use gstreamer with c++?

monraaf
June 28th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Surely you can use C in a C++ program.

JordyD
June 29th, 2009, 01:50 AM
Surely you can use C in a C++ program.

It's ugly, in my experience. At least if you're trying to do something Object-Oriented.

gorilla
June 29th, 2009, 05:19 AM
im hoping to make a QT app which requires c++.

Assuming you're not talking about Quicktime, a good choice for you might be Phonon instead of GStreamer, as it is Qt's and Kde's own sound API, included in Qt since v4.4. You'll find examples and short demo applications in the Qt documentation, and there are a number of audio players using Phonon to be found at qt-apps.org

poisonkiller
June 29th, 2009, 08:53 AM
You may try Gstreamermm, C++ bindings for Gstreamer. Unfortunately it is not in Jaunty's repositorys, but is in Karmic's, so you'll have to download it from there.