PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me or...

Grant A.
June 27th, 2009, 10:37 PM
...do all of the professional singers seem to sing in an American accent?

koenn
June 27th, 2009, 10:53 PM
must be you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRWog09UvUs

Chemical Imbalance
June 27th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Maybe all the mainstream sellouts do!

Just kidding....maybe.

Giant Speck
June 27th, 2009, 11:00 PM
There was a time when I thought the same thing, but then I started getting into a lot more European bands.

For example, Dolores O'Riordan has an obvious Irish accent when she sings.

Gizenshya
June 27th, 2009, 11:12 PM
I've noticed that. And though I think you're talking about UK artists and the like, it is also true for many foreign language artists. They just sound American. Sometimes it takes a second before I realize it is actually Japanese, Korean, or whatever lol

My theory is this: Americans seem to have a very bland, emotionless accent. Nowhere near as flowery as other accents like British or Australian, or languages like Korean. So, I think that when you sing it restricts you to your vocal range, rather than your accent range. So we all end up sounding similar, since we have similar biology. And since the American (Mid-west) accent is closer to bland, biological average, that is what they tend to sound like.

Look at operas for example. They are very strict with the pitches/notes and other voice dynamics. And every language sounds the same.

just my opinions, though. But I have definitely noticed the phenomenon.

MikeTheC
June 27th, 2009, 11:12 PM
It's really hard to find English-singing singers who don't sound like Americans when they sing. I'm not sure what that amounts to or means -- if, indeed, anything -- but as a rule, it tends to be true.

That being said, there are a few singers I've heard who don't sound American when singing, and I like them a lot.

Chemical Imbalance
June 27th, 2009, 11:15 PM
I've noticed that. And though I think you're talking about UK artists and the like, it is also true for many foreign language artists. They just sound American. Sometimes it takes a second before I realize it is actually Japanese, Korean, or whatever lol

My theory is this: Americans seem to have a very bland, emotionless accent. Nowhere near as flowery as other accents like British or Australian, or languages like Korean. So, I think that when you sing it restricts you to your vocal range, rather than your accent range. So we all end up sounding similar, since we have similar biology. And since the American (Mid-west) accent is closer to bland, biological average, that is what they tend to sound like.

Look at operas for example. They are very strict with the pitches/notes and other voice dynamics. And every language sounds the same.

just my opinions, though. But I have definitely noticed the phenomenon.

That's an interesting theory and I'm thinking along similar terms.

Of course you must realise that standard American accent you are thinking of is only one of dozens of accents in America: some of which are anything but bland. A true thick southern accent is hard to understand, along with say, a Boston accent.

HappyFeet
June 27th, 2009, 11:18 PM
I have noticed this too.

But on a side note, has anyone noticed the singer for Greenday sounds British? (he's from California, I believe)

Gizenshya
June 27th, 2009, 11:21 PM
Chemical Imbalance...

yeah, I realized that about half-way through. Thats why I added Mid-west in there.. but I forgot to go back and add it before. But it is the mid-west American accent that I was referring to. Mine is anything but :p (Southern, though understandable)

itreius
June 27th, 2009, 11:39 PM
Obviously, almost all American singers sing using an American accent...

MikeTheC
June 27th, 2009, 11:42 PM
What really bothers me is people typing with an accent.

Chemical Imbalance
June 27th, 2009, 11:44 PM

Take your posh accent elsewhere Mr. King of England! Humph!

:D

Grant A.
June 28th, 2009, 07:32 AM

Wut're yew tallkin uhbout?

Interesting to see different opinions on this matter. :)

isileth
June 28th, 2009, 07:44 AM
It may be for marketing.
Or because when you learn a foreign language from another source, you tend to sound like them.
I've learned English in Europe, mostly from British people and I "sound" more British than American.
When I first went to London I had few problems with other people speaking, while when I went to New York I needed subtitles.
Like when you watch a movie in original language: I prefer period movies or sf movies because in this case the actors tend to speak in a more undestandable way.
Gladiator is an example of a movie where I could understand everything, while when I watched Proof of Life I could understand Russell Crowe and the Spanish speaking people and "guess" what Meg Ryan and the other American actors were saying.

gn2
June 28th, 2009, 01:00 PM
This story is supposed to be getting made into a film: California schemin' (http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2008/may/10/urbanmusic.features).

As for non-American accents, all hail The Proclaimers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=066oSmDRKPA).