PDA

View Full Version : Anyone watched Battlestar galactica? Will this woman stays as president for ever?

legolas_w
June 27th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Hi
I have just started to watch battlestar galactica (the miniseries parts) and this minister of education took the oath to be president, will she stay in charge until the end of the tv series?

She looks to be a pain in the A**.

Thanks

WA_Garrett
June 27th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Yes and no. She is president just about till the end. Part way between the series someone else becomes president (I wont say who) but she takes back the presidency.

madjr
June 27th, 2009, 10:04 PM
spoilers !! nooo :(

MythAaron
June 27th, 2009, 10:07 PM
You want spoilers???

Roslin is a good character and she isn't afraid to get her hands dirty.

The reason why the show is so good is because it is about more than space battles and shooting bad guys.

MikeTheC
June 27th, 2009, 11:06 PM
I've always held that the technicals of this show are awesome.

It's the plot and writing I don't care for.

nrs
June 27th, 2009, 11:25 PM
I've always held that the technicals of this show are awesome.

It's the plot and writing I don't care for.
Blasphemy is punishable by death in some countries.

Closed_Port
June 28th, 2009, 12:23 AM
blasphemy is punishable by death in some countries.
+1

p_quarles
June 28th, 2009, 12:24 AM
Why not just watch it and find out? Do you want us to tell you who the cylons are, too?

SunnyRabbiera
June 28th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Isnt she a cylon, hell everyones a cylon by the end of the new series so who knows.
The new battlestar was too political for me, give me the classic series anyday...
Where cylons were real cylons not terminators, men were real men, women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri...

lovinglinux
June 28th, 2009, 04:41 AM
Laura Roslin can be annoying sometimes, but she is a great character.

If I were you, I wouldn't ask for spoilers. The show is one of the best I ever saw, but if you know things in advance, then it won't be as exciting as it should be.

0per4t0r
June 28th, 2009, 04:50 AM
spoilers !! nooo :(
I would normally reply to this with a picture of a spoiler that would normally go on a vehicle, but I just don't think I have the energy.

lethalfang
June 28th, 2009, 06:02 AM
This is my favorite TV show of all time: minimal amount of technobabble, with a very complex and sophisticated message.

MikeTheC
June 28th, 2009, 06:03 AM
Ron Moore's a Cylon. Heck, he was still alive and in Vancouver after 150,000 years.

lovinglinux
June 28th, 2009, 06:48 AM
This is my favorite TV show of all time: minimal amount of technobabble, with a very complex and sophisticated message.

+1
...and several mind-blowing space battles.

Ron Moore's a Cylon. Heck, he was still alive and in Vancouver after 150,000 years.

He was not still alive, he was just there. He just appeared on that episode, not before.

3rdalbum
June 28th, 2009, 07:25 AM
I thought the "reimagined" Battlestar Galactica stunk too. It really wasn't rocket science (er, no pun intended) to take the good bits from the original BSG and make an exciting, up-to-date series. Incredibly, Ron Moore stuffed it up.

I'll tell you how it ends. The writers paint themselves into a corner in terms of storyline, and pretty soon nothing in the show makes any sense. In the final episode, all the characters wake up on Caprica and realise that the last 3 years were just a dream.

Okay... that last sentence isn't true, but the real ending isn't much better!

p_quarles
June 28th, 2009, 07:38 AM
I thought the "reimagined" Battlestar Galactica stunk too. It really wasn't rocket science (er, no pun intended) to take the good bits from the original BSG and make an exciting, up-to-date series. Incredibly, Ron Moore stuffed it up.

I'll tell you how it ends. The writers paint themselves into a corner in terms of storyline, and pretty soon nothing in the show makes any sense. In the final episode, all the characters wake up on Caprica and realise that the last 3 years were just a dream.

Okay... that last sentence isn't true, but the real ending isn't much better!
Yes, there were a lot of complaints about the ending, and I think there's some truth in the idea that the creative directors of the series didn't always know where they were going...

But, I thought the wrap-up was interesting for just those reasons. It was unsatisfying on a plot level and wasn't completely believable, but I kind of think they "earned" those things. They did such a good job with characterizations and exploration of these really complicated moral questions that in the end, the failure to resolve the plotline neatly just exemplifies the fact that we don't have answers to those questions.

The term "deus ex machina" (God as device) is used to describe what happens in many Greek tragedies where the writer isn't sure how to resolve a plot line, and instead brings in Zeus or Poseidon to magically end the play. Many things that BSG did at the end could be seen in the same way, and I think it's worthwhile to consider why such plot devices were necessary before dismissing them completely.

MythAaron
June 28th, 2009, 09:54 PM
BSG is third on my list behind The Wire and The Shield.

lovinglinux
June 28th, 2009, 09:59 PM
It's third on my list behind The Wire and The Shield.

No way.

Top of my list:

1) BSG
2) Lost
3) Nip Tuck

Prison Break was on the list in the first season. Second and third seasons were good, but then...

Heroes first season was good, but the rest is fraking boring.

Mr. Picklesworth
June 28th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Yes, there were a lot of complaints about the ending, and I think there's some truth in the idea that the creative directors of the series didn't always know where they were going...

But, I thought the wrap-up was interesting for just those reasons. It was unsatisfying on a plot level and wasn't completely believable, but I kind of think they "earned" those things. They did such a good job with characterizations and exploration of these really complicated moral questions that in the end, the failure to resolve the plotline neatly just exemplifies the fact that we don't have answers to those questions.

The term "deus ex machina" (God as device) is used to describe what happens in many Greek tragedies where the writer isn't sure how to resolve a plot line, and instead brings in Zeus or Poseidon to magically end the play. Many things that BSG did at the end could be seen in the same way, and I think it's worthwhile to consider why such plot devices were necessary before dismissing them completely.

Actually, I liked that the ending didn't go completely overboard with deus ex machina. Granted, it was rather out there, but it didn't fly in the face of everything beforehand. I can't really make my point without spoilers, but, ugh... it was better than a Star Trek episode. ("It'll take 5 hours, Cap'n --" "You have 5 minutes!" ............ "Okay, because I had trusty Ensign Ricky here to save the day with his bright ideas, we did it in 4 minutes 48 seconds. Now we just vent this blue gas through the ship with this convenient vent the designers placed here just for this emergency, and everything will be new again! Hahahahah!") ...and it was better than Russel T. Davies' abominations that he calls Doctor Who episodes - (particularly his season finales). With those two horrible examples in mind, it was a mindblowingly great ending.
For the most part, though, I'm not too bothered by how it ends since that detail was not spectacularly critical. The show never seemed to have useless filler, and there's a reason for that :)

As for Laura Roslin, here is a simple hint: Your view of every single character in this show will be completely changed by the end.

MikeTheC
June 28th, 2009, 10:37 PM
As for Laura Roslin, here is a simple hint: Your view of every single character in this show will be completely changed by the end.
That much is true. Not really in a good way, but what you said is a fact.

jc87
June 28th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Personally i loved the remake BSG, but the writers started adding weird elements episode after episode that did nīt had an simple explanation (or a plausible one at least), and the end of the show was a combination of an deus ex machina plot plus some stupid nonsense and they even left some parts without any kind of logic.

I sincerely hope the movie that is coming out Battlestar Galactica: The Plan (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1286130/) explains some of the stuff.

By the way there is a prequel called Caprica (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0799862/) with already a pilot.

lovinglinux
June 28th, 2009, 11:53 PM
I sincerely hope the movie that is coming out Battlestar Galactica: The Plan (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1286130/) explains some of the stuff.

It will be about the Cylon plan, so don't expect too much explanations outside this realm. Besides, it will be written by Jane Espenson, who wrote some of the worst BSG episodes.

racerraul
June 29th, 2009, 02:46 AM
Big fan of the series here.... and I must say that while the ending left me a bit disappointed, it wasn't that bad.

That said I must say that my disappointment has more to do with the series coming to an end, rather than it being a total flop of an ending.

As for Laura Roslin... she turned out to be and incredible character and one of my favorites. Despite the fact that I didn't like her in the beginning either.

IMO... there was no better person fit to be their political leader. You'll see, just watch and enjoy the series...

Ok... I'm off to watch Stargate :popcorn:

conundrumx
June 29th, 2009, 05:41 AM
That said I must say that my disappointment has more to do with the series coming to an end, rather than it being a total flop of an ending.

This, exactly. My advice: don't look up ANYTHING related to BSG until you've seen the entire series. There are so many spoilers out there. Just watch the show and enjoy it.

drawkcab
June 30th, 2009, 06:25 AM
The first two seasons are the best and then it starts to wander in season 3. I still loved it and followed it religiously though.

I hope Caprica doesn't suck.