PDA

View Full Version : Disadvantages of Buying an OS From MSDN AA

Lazy-buntu
June 27th, 2009, 09:07 PM
I just built a computer about two weeks ago and I am dualbooting Windows 7 RC build 7127 and Ubuntu 9.04 (both 64 bit).

I can't use the RC forever. One day (maybe October 22nd) I'm going to have to break down and buy the final release of Windows 7. I'm debating how to go about doing that though.

I could:
1. Buy Windows 7 Home Premium or Ultimate and pay out the back-end through a retail outlet
2. Buy Windows 7 Home Premium or Ultimate + a piece of computer hardware to get the OS at an OEM discount
3. Buy Windows 7 Ultimate through my university (probably will be the same as Vista Ultimate, which goes for 20$)
4. Get Windows 7 Pro/Business or whatever you want to call it for free through IEEE (MSDN AA, they already offer Windows XP Pro for free or Windows Vista Business for free, so I'm assuming the business or pro edition of Windows 7 will be free too).

I'm wondering though, which method to go with. Money is tight these days, but I don't want to sacrifice freedom or rights by going through the school or MSDN AA. Has anyone had an experience of buying it through their university or MSDN AA? I know I would have to present my ID and sign something if I purchased it at school. If I download it through MSDN AA I have to agree to some terms.

This is why Ubuntu/Linux/FOSS rocks, no BS. Just do your thing. I'm not ready to convert entirely to Ubuntu though (games, etc.).

What should I look out for? I don't want to sign or agree to anything that forces me to use my OS differently than I would now. I also don't want to be S.O.L after I graduate in a couple years, but I'm pretty sure you can keep it afterwards.

edit: fixed 54-bit typo to 64-bit. Also, reinstalling Windows 7 is going to overwrite GRUB correct? Isn't there about 2 commands to fix that from a live CD?

la3875
June 27th, 2009, 09:14 PM
IMO if I were in your shoes I would buy from the university using your student discount. $20 for the full/ultimate version is a no brainer. You own it at that point and can hack away.

If you downloaded the 7RC MS was offering half off the full version when it releases - that cost however was still over $100. Again, if it was me - buy from the university...

Good luck!

Mornedhel
June 27th, 2009, 09:14 PM
I have a copy of Vista Business that I got from the MSDNAA program at my university. The most important downside is that once you graduate, although you can keep using the OS, you can't (legally) install or reinstall it.

As far as I know, it's otherwise identical to preinstalled or separately purchased copies.

DGortze380
June 27th, 2009, 09:18 PM
I just built a computer about two weeks ago and I am dualbooting Windows 7 RC build 7127 and Ubuntu 9.04 (both 54 bit).

I can't use the RC forever. One day (maybe October 22nd) I'm going to have to break down and buy the final release of Windows 7. I'm debating how to go about doing that though.

I could:
1. Buy Windows 7 Home Premium or Ultimate and pay out the back-end through a retail outlet
2. Buy Windows 7 Home Premium or Ultimate + a piece of computer hardware to get the OS at an OEM discount
3. Buy Windows 7 Ultimate through my university (probably will be the same as Vista Ultimate, which goes for 20$)
4. Get Windows 7 Pro/Business or whatever you want to call it for free through IEEE (MSDN AA, they already offer Windows XP Pro for free or Windows Vista Business for free, so I'm assuming the business or pro edition of Windows 7 will be free too).

I'm wondering though, which method to go with. Money is tight these days, but I don't want to sacrifice freedom or rights by going through the school or MSDN AA. Has anyone had an experience of buying it through their university or MSDN AA? I know I would have to present my ID and sign something if I purchased it at school. If I download it through MSDN AA I have to agree to some terms.

This is why Ubuntu/Linux/FOSS rocks, no BS. Just do your thing. I'm not ready to convert entirely to Ubuntu though (games, etc.).

What should I look out for? I don't want to sign or agree to anything that forces me to use my OS differently than I would now. I also don't want to be S.O.L after I graduate in a couple years, but I'm pretty sure you can keep it afterwards.

The only disadvantage is that you technically, according to the license obtain through MSDNAA, are supposed to stop using the software as soon as you are no longer a student at your given university.

flyingsliverfin
June 27th, 2009, 09:21 PM
just stick with ubuntu ;)

ubuntu FTW!

on the other hand, i have extremely little to do with buying windows/os's becuz my brother does it all for me and gets it free through his colloge p2p... i always wonder if its legal. my dad usually stops him from installing it on my comp though cuz he really thinks it illegal :). my dad then gets it for free from his work :D

i don't really see the difference...:confused:
oh well.

philcamlin
June 27th, 2009, 09:25 PM
20$ for windows :O

why do then when you can torrent :D:popcorn:

Mornedhel
June 27th, 2009, 09:29 PM
20$ for windows :O

why do then when you can torrent :D:popcorn:

I don't know, because it's illegal ?

laurielegit
June 27th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Why not just go for a copy of XP? That aside, I wouldn't worry about going the MSDN AA route. They arn't that mean (yet)

mikewhatever
June 27th, 2009, 09:32 PM
This is an odd question in the Ubuntu help and support forum. It's well crafted through not mentioning Windows in the title and saying that you dual boot, however, it isn't, even remotely, related to Ubuntu, and as far as I am concerned, it really doesn't matter how you buy it or if at all.

l-x-l
June 27th, 2009, 09:38 PM
This is an odd question in the Ubuntu help and support forum. It's well crafted through not mentioning Windows in the title and saying that you dual boot, however, it isn't, even remotely, related to Ubuntu, and as far as I am concerned, it really doesn't matter how you buy iy or if at all.

Oh.... you noticed that too, huh!! Doesn't this belong in the Community Cafe?

jward3010
June 27th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Why not just go for a copy of XP? That aside, I wouldn't worry about going the MSDN AA route. They arn't that mean (yet)

Yeah, I'd agree. There's nothing that Vista / 7 can do that XP can't do as well as them. Realistically I'd say it'll drag you to a point where you'll say - switch off the ****** effects, Word shouldn't take 20 minutes to open and how come it takes half the age of the universe to change a track in WMP. Install a nice XP installaion, keep it clean, just to what you need in terms of programs (like all seasoned PC users realise over time) and you'll be happy as larry.

I'm using 7 a little here and there, just to see what the big fuss is about and apart from polish and a couple of nice things in terms of improving window elements and better layouts, all it's going to be is another sort-of Vista and Vista offered nothing to anyone (my opinion) that XP couldn't do or didn't do faster. All it is the next "thing" that generates revenue for Microsoft. I might consider using an M$ OS when they actually begin to do something that I find useful, apart from that there just curiosity.

del_diablo
June 27th, 2009, 09:48 PM
you can't (legally) install or reinstall it.

Depends on who got the license key in their hand. If you got that AND the CD, then how can they stop you :confused:

I don't know, because it's illegal ?

Im seconding this, because its WAAAY different than usuall pirating(aka downloading and testing, or the CD breaks and you want the game to work).

Captain_tux
June 27th, 2009, 09:52 PM
This is an odd question in the Ubuntu help and support forum. It's well crafted through not mentioning Windows in the title and saying that you dual boot, however, it isn't, even remotely, related to Ubuntu, and as far as I am concerned, it really doesn't matter how you buy iy or if at all.

I agree that it's an odd question, but the fact that he's dual-booting Windows & Ubuntu makes it, in my opinion, it related to Ubuntu.

Though I'm not too sure about the 54bit part ;)

Mornedhel
June 27th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Depends on who got the license key in their hand. If you got that AND the CD, then how can they stop you :confused:

Possibly the key becomes invalid and can't be used to activate Windows any more. I don't know for sure. I'm in my last year of uni, so I will find out next time I have to reinstall Vista...

LewRockwell
June 27th, 2009, 10:02 PM

or the waste basket, either one.

mikewhatever
June 27th, 2009, 10:05 PM

I think so. It looks like my previous post can be interpreted as negative, which wasn't the intention. Wouldn't it be interesting to head over to Microsoft Forums and ask how to download Ubuntu?

I agree that it's an odd question, but the fact that he's dual-booting Windows & Ubuntu makes it, in my opinion, it related to Ubuntu.

Though I'm not too sure about the 54bit part ;)

The fact is related indeed, but the question isn't, as the question was, 'How to acquire Windows 7?'

Lazy-buntu
June 27th, 2009, 10:05 PM
That was a typo :P meant 64 bit.

I know it's not directly related to Ubuntu, but I wasn't sure where to put the thread.

Anyway, thanks for the quick responses.

I'll make sure I read the ToS or EULA. So, besides the point that I may not be able to reinstall it after I graduate, there's no real downside (besides it's windows)?

Also, reinstalling Windows 7 is going to overwrite GRUB correct? Isn't there about 2 commands to fix that from a live CD?

presence1960
June 28th, 2009, 12:18 AM
http://store.microsoft.com/home.aspx

Do you own a legit copy of 2000/XP/Vista. if so go here. you can get 7 home premium for $49.99 and 7 professional for $99.99.

praveesh
June 28th, 2009, 07:11 AM
That was a typo :P meant 64 bit.
I know it's not directly related to Ubuntu, but I wasn't sure where to put the thread.
Anyway, thanks for the quick responses.
I'll make sure I read the ToS or EULA. So, besides the point that I may not be able to reinstall it after I graduate, there's no real downside (besides it's windows)?
Also, reinstalling Windows 7 is going to overwrite GRUB correct? Isn't there about 2 commands to fix that from a live CD?
Will a norton ghost(or any tool to create image of a drive ) copy of the C drive help you in reinstalling? . (I don't know more about norton ghost . I have just heard about it )

praveesh
June 28th, 2009, 08:26 AM
I just built a computer about two weeks ago and I am dualbooting Windows 7 RC build 7127 and Ubuntu 9.04 (both 64 bit).

I could:

edit: fixed 54-bit typo to 64-bit. Also, reinstalling Windows 7 is going to overwrite GRUB correct? Isn't there about 2 commands to fix that from a live CD?

If I get vista business from ieee now, is it possible to get 7 too from ieee , if it is released ?