PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy VII in Wine Fails on Start

Game Over
June 27th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Hello there!

I am running Jaunty on my laptop (HP Pavilion dv6000).

I installed FF7 without a hitch.

Downloaded and extracted the FF7_OpenGL driver(s) to the directory ff7.exe resides.

Using FF7 Config (which messes up my screen a bit, but nothing permanent), I have changed the sound to emulation, midi doesn't work, but thats not a huge deal. If i should post more about my settings, let me know.

When I insert the game cd and load it through wine, the screen goes black and fails. Disc spins super fast then I am stuck at a black screen.

Yes, I have checked the other threads I could find on this subject, but nothing works :~(

Thanks 1,000,000 in advance!

Game Over
June 27th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Bump

Any ideas?

Please and thanks.

Sugi
June 27th, 2009, 10:26 PM
First off, I would like to say I have only tried FF7 on Windows platform. FF7 is not supported with Windows XP natively, but there are a lot of hacks out there to get XP to work with FF7. So keep this is mind while trying to get FF7 to work with Wine. Maybe trying to set wine to run on Windows ME or 98 or something down those lines, but keep this is mind as well, just because the game only works on IE: Windows 98 doesn't mean it will work if you set wine to run in that environment of Windows 98. Try a No-CD patch as well this could fix some issues with game.

I hope this information is a little bit helpful,
Sugi

PS: if you haven't already check out the appdb's website for FF7. http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=183

As well, always post more information about your wine setup and computer specs. This can only help you solve the issue that you are having.