PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] recommended mini to install ubuntu

blingo
June 27th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Hi all,
So before buying a mini - which one works good with Ubuntu?

philcamlin
June 27th, 2009, 08:54 PM
mini mac mini pc mini laptop?

:popcorn:

keith.newell
June 27th, 2009, 09:34 PM
I have a dell mini 9, and couldn't be happier. :)

aysiu
June 27th, 2009, 09:53 PM
I assume you mean netbooks when you say "mini."

It's kind of a tricky question.

Some netbooks come with some kind of Ubuntu installation on them (the Dell Minis and the HP Minis), but they're usually slightly older versions (8.04 instead of 9.04) and tweaked to work out of the box with some of the proprietary components Dell or HP includes (Broadcom wireless, for example). So if you're okay with the stock installation, I'd recommend getting Ubuntu preinstalled on a netbook. And even if you do install 9.04 or 9.10 later, the fixes for any problems that come up are usually quick ones.

And it's the same deal for any of the other netbooks (even the ones that don't come with Linux preinstalled). Usually you can install Ubuntu or some variant (EeeBuntu for the Asus Eee PCs, for example) and have either everything work out of the box or almost everything (maybe a function key won't work or you'll have to edit some configuration file to get your microphone working).

Your best bet is probably to Google the name of the mini netbook you want and the word Ubuntu. For example, samsung nc10 ubuntu or eee pc 1000he ubuntu.

raymondh
June 27th, 2009, 10:06 PM
I use an MSIWind U100 running Ubuntu 8.10. Only tweak I had to do involved the realtek RTL8187se wifi driver. but that is no problem.

blingo
June 28th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the responses, I'm thinking about

Acer One A150 (which I can get at a better price between the two)
and MSI wind something...

If you have any thoughts about them, please share