PDA

View Full Version : Terminal: dark vs light

aj_
June 27th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Some friends when they come over cringe at my white background terminal: "that's like staring at a lightbulb; you'll go blind!"

I tell them that the light coming in through the window is much brighter than that, so I should've been blinded years ago. What I do notice hurts my eyes is:

1. dark background in a well-lit room.
2. light background in a very dark room.

That kills my eyes in just a few minutes, because they have to constantly readjust between very dark and very bright. Because I like bright rooms, I stick with a white background, and a black font for maximum contrast. I can type all day and not suffer eye fatigue that way.

So how come the vast majority of screenshots I see of people's desktops sport terms with dark backgrounds?

.Maleficus.
June 27th, 2009, 07:30 PM
My terminal is usually dark because my .Xdefaults has colored fonts to match my theme and light colors on a light background makes my eyes bleed :).

dragos240
June 27th, 2009, 07:30 PM
They might be using xterm.

chucky chuckaluck
June 27th, 2009, 07:38 PM
They might be using xterm.

huh?

Chronon
June 27th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Probably they like dark rooms. :)

siryuhan
June 27th, 2009, 07:43 PM
I'm simply more used to a dark background. Looking at a white background is just a bit strange.

philcamlin
June 27th, 2009, 07:44 PM
wouldent doubt it if they like dark rooms :P

SuperSonic4
June 27th, 2009, 07:44 PM
I'll always go for a dark terminal, add some transparency so it can make other windows appear darker

swoll1980
June 27th, 2009, 07:52 PM
My terminal has to be black, with neon green font, or it doesn't feel like a terminal.

RiceMonster
June 27th, 2009, 08:02 PM
White on black. Black on white is too bright, and anything else causes readability issues for me. I usually have a transparent background too.

Eisenwinter
June 27th, 2009, 08:04 PM
My terminal is white text on black background.

cariboo
June 27th, 2009, 08:04 PM
I use a black transparent background with yellow text.

LookTJ
June 27th, 2009, 08:10 PM
My terminal has to be black, with neon green font, or it doesn't feel like a terminal.
+1 :P I have the same preference.

Marlonsm
June 27th, 2009, 08:10 PM

Same here.

But I always leave the terminal with transparency.

BTW, I've set my compiz to invert colors when I hit "super + n" so I don't have problems like light windows on a dark room or dark windows on a light room.

dragos240
June 27th, 2009, 08:13 PM
huh?

xterm? You know. The X terminal emulator? The default while terminal is gnome-terminal, x terminal is what comes with x.

hessiess
June 27th, 2009, 08:40 PM
I like white on dark grey for *everything*, white backgrounds are tireing and headake inducing.

m_duck
June 27th, 2009, 08:47 PM
I use a dark grey or black background usually. I very occasionally use a white one but never for very long. It's a grey background even in xterm for me :p

FuturePilot
June 27th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Black semi-transparent background with white text looks the best to me.

t0p
June 27th, 2009, 09:59 PM
I have light text on dark background because it "feels" "right". It takes me back to the 80s, when I was first exposed to home computers. The first box I ever played on was a TRS-80, and that was white text on black background. So, the terminal on my EeePC is whiute on black. On my desktop machine, it's a little different (see screenshot). But it's still light on dark.

The 80s r00l!!

:p

init1
June 27th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Used to use black on white, but I prefer white on black now.

l-x-l
June 27th, 2009, 10:19 PM
I have a question. I'm fairly new to Linux & wanted to change my Terminator terminal foreground colors. I know how to go to the config file but the format is foreground_color = #FFFFFF. Is there a grid or something to tell me what #FFFFFF represents.

Like what is white in this format? What's black and red and yellow? I need a translator. Any help would be appreciated.

By the way I currently have a black background & white text.

Greg
June 27th, 2009, 10:25 PM
I have a question. I'm fairly new to Linux & wanted to change my Terminator terminal foreground colors. I know how to go to the config file but the format is foreground_color = #FFFFFF. Is there a grid or something to tell me what #FFFFFF represents.

Like what is white in this format? What's black and red and yellow? I need a translator. Any help would be appreciated.

By the way I currently have a black background & white text.

They're called hex colors. See the following website.
www.2createawebsite.com/build/hex-colors.html

l-x-l
June 27th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Many thanks. It's exactly what I needed.

irv
June 27th, 2009, 10:36 PM
When it comes to a word processor I want Black font on a white background because I fell like I am typing on a white piece of paper. But when it comes to a terminal I want white font on an black background. It makes me feel like I am doing computer stuff. I could use green font also, make me feel like I am in one of those old SiFi movies.

Gizenshya
June 27th, 2009, 10:45 PM
+1 :P I have the same preference.

that makes 4 of us ;)

I do transparency sometimes also

and yeah, black or white background + F11 + Super-N = seizure!

sisco311
June 27th, 2009, 10:50 PM
semi-transparent black background with white text:

http://i42.tinypic.com/2zp3x9y.png

l-x-l
June 27th, 2009, 11:23 PM
After some tweaking (thanks Greg) here's mine. Black background & text colors are orange. I have it set to transparent background also.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2hgv9dz.png

Chemical Imbalance
June 27th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Turquoise-ish on semi-transparent black.

itreius
June 27th, 2009, 11:41 PM
I tell them that the light coming in through the window is much brighter than that, so I should've been blinded years ago.
Unless you often have to focus on the light coming from the outside of your window, that's not a good analogy.

hessiess
June 27th, 2009, 11:59 PM
When it comes to a word processor I want Black font on a white background because I fell like I am typing on a white piece of paper.

A computer monitor is *NOT* paper, end of story :).

learningcurb
June 28th, 2009, 12:23 AM
Actually, paper based teleprinters preceeded computer terminals.

Some of the earliest computers (for example, the LGP-30) used teleprinters for input and output. Teleprinters were also used as the first interactive computer terminals. They had no video display. Users typed commands after a prompt character appeared. This was the origin of the text terminal and the command line interface. The paper tape function was sometimes used to prepare input for the computer session offline, or to capture computer output.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teletypewriter#Teleprinters_in_computing

But in any case, I like a dark terminal. :)

swoll1980
June 28th, 2009, 12:24 AM

Depends on how old your computer is. :wink:

dragos240
June 28th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Depends on how old your computer is. :wink:

This is true.

Daisuke_Aramaki
June 28th, 2009, 12:42 AM
Thanks to my job, I have to work in a console most of the time. I can work best with a dark background. But I have a personal color setup to take care of most of the tasks in the terminal. vim takes its colors from a color scheme that i have set in my .vimrc. That does it for all the text editing.

This is my color setup.

http://omploader.org/vMXc0Mw (http://omploader.org/vMXc0Mw)

Incense
June 28th, 2009, 12:47 AM
Another vote for green on black.

irv
June 28th, 2009, 03:22 AM

Ya, I know, but I said it only makes me feel like I am. Last week I had to throw my LCD in the trash. It died on me. It was like throwing away a expense piece of paper. I bought another one for $139 from newegg. Not a bad monitor for the money. It was a 22".

adssse
June 28th, 2009, 07:23 PM
I go with white on a solid black background. I always find the semi transparent distracting...

Screwdriver0815
June 28th, 2009, 07:31 PM
I like a transparant terminal, which is green letters on dark background
because it should be stylish but also have a touch of the good old times as the letters were green and the background was black.

binbash
June 28th, 2009, 07:36 PM
white on black or green on black

Eviltechie
June 28th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Dark blue on black.

Pogeymanz
June 28th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Light terminals will make you go blind! Something about it really does give me a headache. I can understand reading regular text from a white background, but reading all those symbols and commands is impossible for me.

I prefer light grey text on a black background, with a little bit of transparency so that I can read through it if I have to.

RaZe42
June 28th, 2009, 08:46 PM
I like a transparant terminal, which is green letters on dark background
because it should be stylish but also have a touch of the good old times as the letters were green and the background was black.

That would look much better if you'd hide the scrollbar (and maybe the menubar also) :)

Screwdriver0815
June 28th, 2009, 09:06 PM
That would look much better if you'd hide the scrollbar (and maybe the menubar also) :)

I need both of them. So Form/Style follows Function :D