PDA

View Full Version : A New case of GPL Violation emerges.

Dimitriid
June 27th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Apparently Atari has taken code from a GPL program called ScummVM ( and emulator for the Nintendo DS ) and they took legal action but apparently settled.:

http://sev-notes.blogspot.com/2009/06/gpl-scummvm-and-violations.html

Thus, the facts were:

* There is a GPL violation (their denial has to be proven in a court, strings in executables and the bug above clearly show it)
* Atari could not release source codes because of Nintendo NDA
* Atari could not put GPL clause because of Nintendo NDA
* Atari could not "buy out" ScummVM from us
* There is no possibility to double license ScummVM, at least SCUMM engine
* We do not need any money as a "bribe to keep silent"

This is an interesting case, while it was perfectly fine for Atari to give full credit to the developers, Nintendo specifically forbiddens GPL code to be included.

This to me sounds like a nasty, predatory tactic. Sure do not use GPL free software if you don't want to, but to go out of your way and block third party companies who develop for your hardware to do so? Too bad this guys couldn't afford a long legal battle but I don't like the implications of this.

Another thing I don't like is to know shovelware or "Casual Games" are so popular you can just basically rip off homebrew applications and emulators and make a ton of money for copy/pasting most of the code.

Opinions?

p.s. search was giving me troubles so if this is already posted can we merge threads?

CharmyBee
June 27th, 2009, 05:12 PM
An outsource of an outsource of an outsource? Is that how companies 'work' these days?

Dimitriid
June 27th, 2009, 05:18 PM
An outsource of an outsource of an outsource? Is that how companies 'work' these days?

Yes. This is what is very funny: Videgame companies constantly cry about "piracy" and people "stealing" from them, but by not giving credit and violating GPL they are guilty of the same kind of "stealing" they accuse consumers of.

Next time the argument is brought up I'll be mentioning just how are this companies truly making their money: most of their sales come from shovelware, quick and dirty "casual" games that they do not even develop and just outsource, and who knows how many of these outsources are guilty of the same thing and are just taking GPL code without giving credit.