PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrading to Jaunty

Admiral Yi
June 27th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Hello,
Im currently running Intrepid 32 bit version. I have recently bought a 64 bit processor, and now I want to upgrade to jaunty 64 bit.

My problem is that I have got Ubuntu set up perfectly for me and I don't wish to lose my settings. Is there a way I can upgrade to 64 bit Jaunty witout losing my settings? Im not exactly a linux beginner, but could someone please give me a good guide to doing this (if theres a way)?

Mark Phelps
June 27th, 2009, 02:18 PM
There's no way to "upgrade" from 32-bit to 64-bit, if that's what you're asking. You have to do a clean install.

If you saved off a copy of /home and all the hidden directories underneath, you could individually restore your settings ... but it's a lot of work.

Admiral Yi
June 28th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Ok then, how would I just upgrade to 32 bit jaunty without losing my settings?

Admiral Yi
June 30th, 2009, 07:09 AM
Anyone know how to install jaunty without losing my current settings?

Saint_
June 30th, 2009, 07:27 AM
From what I've read in other threads, jaunty won't overwrite your personal settings (granted a few things will get switched around). Obsolete programs and packages will be removed yes, but your personal settings shouldn't be affected.

lotster
June 30th, 2009, 07:58 AM
However, also from reading other posts, upgrading seems to be very buggy. I would recommend doing a clean install; backup your home directory, and make a list of all the software packages you have installed. Then do a clean install, restore your home directory, and manually re-install all the packages you need / want. I know, it seems like a pain, but judging by the other posts on this forum I think it just might be the less painful way!

Admiral Yi
June 30th, 2009, 04:15 PM
How would I go about restoring my home directory?