PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid DE?

HappinessNow
June 27th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Is there a Hybrid DE/WM that combines the 'best of the best' functions of Gnome/KDE/XFCE/e17 etc. etc.?

kerry_s
June 27th, 2009, 09:10 AM
what? you can make any one of those a so called "Hybrid" cause they all can run the same programs.

HappinessNow
June 27th, 2009, 09:15 AM
what? you can make any one of those a so called "Hybrid" cause they all can run the same programs.
Not exactly what I was thinking but Thanks.

SunnyRabbiera
June 27th, 2009, 09:46 AM
There really isnt any need to, with QT4 being able to use GTK themes and GTK being able to use QT themes with the right packages installed there is really a "one size fits all" approach.
Both GTK and QT serve a purpose

HappinessNow
June 27th, 2009, 10:05 AM
There really isnt any need to, with QT4 being able to use GTK themes and GTK being able to use QT themes with the right packages installed there is really a "one size fits all" approach.
Both GTK and QT serve a purposejust looking for a pre-packaged hybrid.

3rdalbum
June 27th, 2009, 11:25 AM
What are the best features, and who decides what they are?

KDE 4 is a lot more Gnome-like than KDE 3.5...

lovinglinux
June 27th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Both GTK and QT serve a purpose

How do you do that?

Tipped OuT
June 27th, 2009, 12:31 PM

No.

KDE 4 is a lot more Windows-like than KDE 3.5...

Fixed.

dragos240
June 27th, 2009, 01:02 PM

KDE 4 is a lot more Vista-like than KDE 3.5...

Fixed.

asdfhjkla
June 27th, 2009, 01:09 PM

Agreed.

sim-value
June 27th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Install KDE log in to gnome and Switch window manager to Kwin using Compiz-fusion-icon ...
or vice versa ... :D

gnuvistawouldbecool
June 27th, 2009, 03:30 PM

As others said, it's more Windows Vista like. Personally I'd say KDE 4.3 is how Vista/7 should be. It works on less resources than even Windows 7, so, it is really how they should be.

TheLastDodo
June 27th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Fixed.

Windows-like? Not with that god-awful version of Dolphin it uses as a file manager. Windows Explorer has it faults, but it blows that piece of junk out of the water.

Fatal Toenail Infection
June 27th, 2009, 03:50 PM
This may or may not be what you're looking for, but it is possible to run plasma in gnome if you install the appropriate packages. Then you can just set up similar qt4/gtk themes.

chucky chuckaluck
June 27th, 2009, 04:15 PM
This may or may not be what you're looking for, but it is possible to run plasma in gnome if you install the appropriate packages. Then you can just set up similar qt4/gtk themes.

installing a plasma package (i don't know what it's called in ubuntu) would probably take care of all the dependencies, including kdebase. run gnome, alt+f2 to run plasma.

that's the best way to resemble windows. you have a vista look with the gconf editor's resemblance to the registry and you've saved yourself some money.

zolookas
June 27th, 2009, 05:57 PM
How do you do that?

Making Qt applications look like GTK:
Qt (since version 4.5) should use GTK theme automatically. If not, launch qt config utility and select "GTK+" theme.

Making GTK applications look like Qt:
Install (apt://gtk-qt-engine) gtk-qt-engine package (if it is not installed by default in Kubuntu) and go to "Appearance" in settings. You should see "GTK styles and fonts" there.

lovinglinux
June 27th, 2009, 06:14 PM
installing a plasma package (i don't know what it's called in ubuntu) would probably take care of all the dependencies, including kdebase. run gnome, alt+f2 to run plasma.

that's the best way to resemble windows. you have a vista look with the gconf editor's resemblance to the registry and you've saved yourself some money.

I have kde-core installed, so all I had to do was to run plasma. I didn't know I could run the KDE panel menus and widgets while running Gnome. Very cool.

Making Qt applications look like GTK:
Qt (since version 4.5) should use GTK theme automatically. If not, launch qt config utility and select "GTK+" theme.

Making GTK applications look like Qt:
Install (apt://gtk-qt-engine) gtk-qt-engine package (if it is not installed by default in Kubuntu) and go to "Appearance" in settings. You should see "GTK styles and fonts" there.

Thank you.