PDA

View Full Version : New to bash scripting - Problem using FOR

oduartix
June 27th, 2009, 03:35 AM
I need a for cicle to handle all files with a certain extension which in this case is bib.
When I run the following command on the bash shell:

>find . -name "*.bib"

I get these results:
./Arquitectura/Lisboa/Bairro Alto/raw/P7226658.ORF.bib
./Arquitectura/Lisboa/Bairro Alto/raw/P7226659.ORF.bib
(...)

My issue, and I haven't been able to overcome it, is when I try to port that to a shell script using for:

for sidecar_file in `find . -name "*.bib"`

As a lot of my folder names contain spaces, this time I will get a lot more rows, as the for control structure seems to run a cicle for each token in the in evaluation:

./Arquitectura/Lisboa/Bairro
Alto/raw/P7226658.ORF.bib
./Arquitectura/Lisboa/Bairro
Alto/raw/P7226659.ORF.bib

Is there a clean way out of this? Something that doesn't involve renaming the files from [ ] to [_]?

BTW, my goal is to check for each bib file ex: (IMG123.RAW.bib) if there is a file (IMG123.RAW). If not the bib file gets deleted. I've got all other parts of the script sorted out, parameter validation, initializations, tests, cicles, several optional deleting commands, etc. It's kind of frustrating to be against this wall with only a very unclean window with a view to success.

ghostdog74
June 27th, 2009, 03:42 AM
use a while read loop instead

find ..... | while read FILE
do
#do something with $FILE
done

oduartix
June 27th, 2009, 03:49 AM
use a while read loop instead

find ..... | while read FILE
do
#do something with $FILE
done

You mean redirecting the output of the find command to a file and then reading it line by line? Won't that read instruction you posted also read just a token?
(edit) Now that I look further to your suggestion, I'm wondering: it doesn't write any file does it? It's just a pipe redirection from one command to another, right?

I had also thought about using a file, but that will require extra permissions to the user which could (just in theory) limit the script. The rest of the script will assume the user has file deletion permissions all over the directory tree that the script processes, but I just wondered whether a cleaner solution existed.

ghostdog74
June 27th, 2009, 04:09 AM
You mean redirecting the output of the find command to a file and then reading it line by line?

no, that doesn't pipe to a file. It just reads off whatever is output from the find command to stdout.

please read the bash link in my signature.

stroyan
June 27th, 2009, 04:39 AM
Another option is to temporarily change the value of the IFS input field separator variable so that only newlines separate fields.
That will work as long as you don't have filenames with newlines in them.

#save original IFS value
OIFS=$IFS
#change IFS to only newlines
IFS=$'\n'
for f in $(find . -name "*.bib")
do
echo handle "$f"
done
#restore IFS value
IFS=$OIFS

Both the pipe to read and the

kaibob
June 27th, 2009, 06:09 AM
If all of the files are in one directory, you do not need to use the find command. A simple for loop will do what you want.

for FILE in *.bib ; do
echo "$FILE"
done

If you need the script to work recursively in the target directories and all subdirectories, then the find command is the way to go and ghostdog74's suggested solution is what I would use.

find . -name "*.bib" -type f | while read FILE
do
echo "$FILE"
done

As an aside, in the above "FILE" is a variable that holds the file name piped to it by the find command. You can use FILENAME or whatever your like. The important point is that it's a variable not an actual file.

oduartix
June 27th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Thanks everyone.
I like the IFS solution as it's very clean and allows better readability of the code, but I will also try redirecting from stdout as it incorporates better the shell philosophy.

geirha
June 27th, 2009, 12:49 PM
The following will find all files (-type f) ending with .bib (-name "*.bib"), and for each of those files, it will pass it on to a tiny shell script (-exec sh... \;) that tests if a file with the same name, minus the ending .bib, exists, and if that returns true, it prints it (-print)

find -type f -name "*.bib" -exec sh -c 'test -f "${1%.bib}"' -- {} \; -print

If you're confident it only prints the files it should delete, then replace "-print" with "-delete" to have the find command delete them.

oduartix
June 27th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Another option is to temporarily change the value of the IFS input field separator variable so that only newlines separate fields.

(...)
IFS=$'\n'
(...)

I know this must be pretty basic, but I can't get this line to work inside the script. It works and sets the variable if I'm directly on the bash, but inside the script, I always get:
delete_orphans: 47: =\n: not found

Still with the IFS separator variable set to '\n' in the shell it doesn't cut it. To say the truth perhaps I should say it cuts too much (same behavior as before).

So I need to put my LISP programmer shoes again (after 14 years in the closet) and try the while suggestion or try geirha's suggestion which seems much more simple than the string operations I was working on the file names.

Thanks again.
I'll be back.

geirha
June 27th, 2009, 09:50 PM
I know this must be pretty basic, but I can't get this line to work inside the script. It works and sets the variable if I'm directly on the bash, but inside the script, I always get:
delete_orphans: 47: =\n: not found

Sure you haven't made a typo in there? Like
$IFS='\n' instead of
IFS=$'\n'
There must be no spaces around the = either.

oduartix
June 27th, 2009, 11:49 PM
Sure you haven't made a typo in there? Like
$IFS='\n' instead of
IFS=$'\n'
There must be no spaces around the = either.
Thanks geirha!
Right on the money!!! I should probably get more sleep...

Still, it's almost there (it's not breaking lines on tokens) but a little short... Oddly, now besides cutting on new lines, it's cutting on character "n" like this:

./Cursos/Challenges/How fast can you go/raw/P5048379.ORF.bib

is broken into:

./Cursos/Challe
ges/How fast ca
you go/raw/P5048379.ORF.bib

What I've got so far is this (I'm not executing any command on the file yet, I'm still debugging):

#!/bin/bash

# Exit function with usage feedback
usage(){
echo "Recursively deletes all .BIB and .XMP sidecar files for which it doesn't find a parent image file. "
echo "Usage: delete_orphans -action [path]"
echo " action = -d deletes files"
echo " action = -m moves files to trash bin folder"
echo " action = -t just test (does not delete) "
echo " action = -a asks before deleting "
echo " action = -c counts files "
echo " [path] path to search defaults to . "
}

#Check if the parameters were passed
if [ $# != 1 -a $# != 2 ] ; then
usage
exit
fi

action=$1
path=$2
# Set a default value of . to path if none was passed
if [ -z $path ] ; then
path=.
fi

# Validate parameters
if [ $action != '-d' -a $action != '-t' -a $action != '-a' -a $action != '-m' -a $action != '-c' ] ; then
usage
exit
fi

# Check for valid path
if [ ! -d $path ] ; then
usage
echo "Invalid path!"
exit
fi

# Defaults Initializations
deleted=0
command="mv -f"
destination="/dev/null"

#save original IFS value and set it to a Newline
originalIFS=$IFS
IFS=$"\n"

# Set command to apply and destination of deleted files according to the action
if [ $action = '-m' ]; then
destination="~/.local/share/Trash/files/"
elif [ $action = '-a' ]; then
command="mv -i"
elif [ $action = '-t' ]; then
command="echo mv -f"
fi

# LOOP for every sidecar file (*.xmp | *.bib) below $path
for sidecar_file in `find $path \( -name "*.bib" -o -name "*.BIB" -o -name "*.xmp" -o -name "*.XMP" \) -print`
do
# Calculate the ORIGINAL filename by removing the extension .BIB or .XMP
orphaned_file=`expr substr $sidecar_file 1 $(expr length $sidecar_file - 4)`
# Is the SIDECAR file orphaned?
if [ ! -f $orphaned_file ]; then
# count action doesn't execute <command file destination>, all others do
if [ $action != '-c' ]; then
echo "$command $sidecar_file $destination"
fi
deleted=$((deleted+1))
fi
done

#restore IFS value
IFS=$originalIFS

#Final output
echo "Command successful. $deleted files deleted. "
else
echo $deleted
fi

ghostdog74
June 28th, 2009, 12:25 AM
why do you want to make it harder for yourself.? try not to meddle with IFS unnecessary, use the while read loop.

geirha
June 28th, 2009, 12:52 AM
There's a difference between "" quotes and '' quotes, and in the case of IFS, you want to use single quotes, not double quotes.

IFS=$'\n'

Also, always quote variables containing paths. E.g.

[ -z $path ]
# should be
[ -z "$path" ]

or else the spaces will come to haunt you.

oduartix
June 28th, 2009, 12:58 PM
no, that doesn't pipe to a file. It just reads off whatever is output from the find command to stdout.

Well, I've tried the WHILE construct and as you said it is much simpler and works out of the box. But now I have a problem removing the extension.

find "$path" \( -name "*.bib" -o -name "*.BIB" -o -name "*.xmp" -o -name "*.XMP" \) -print | while read sidecar_file
do
# Calculate the ORIGINAL filename by removing the extension .BIB or .XMP
done

the orphaned_file assignment produces error:
expr: syntax error

It was working before so I figure it has something to do with the way I'm evaluating and the new presence of spaces.
Any clues?
TIA.

please read the bash link in my signature.
Wow! A reference on bash scripting. I think it's not a coincidence that when I was on training I had already stumbled on your page long before this thread even started.
BTW congratulations on winning the sack race. :D

oduartix
June 28th, 2009, 01:29 PM

It was working before so I figure it has something to do with the way I'm evaluating and the new presence of spaces.
Any clues?
TIA.
:D
As geirha predicted, the spaces came back to hunt me.
Solved by replacing $sidecar_file with "$sidecar_file"

Thanks everyone. With your invaluable help, I'll probably finish it today.

geirha
June 28th, 2009, 01:32 PM

Probably because of spaces in the path. Remember to put "" around to keep the spaces in check.

Though, try with the built-in variable substitution instead. This one cuts off everything from the last . till the end.

orphaned_file=${sidecar_file%.*}

ghostdog74
June 28th, 2009, 01:46 PM
But now I have a problem removing the extension.

you don't have to use external expr command to remove extension. example

file="afile.xml"
echo ${file%.xml}
file=${file%.xml}

oduartix
June 29th, 2009, 01:51 AM
Though, try with the built-in variable substitution instead. This one cuts off everything from the last . till the end.

you don't have to use external expr command to remove extension. example

file="afile.xml"
echo ${file%.xml}
file=${file%.xml}

I had solved it already with $ but both your examples are much cleaner than my expr use. Anyway you are making it very clear that I must invest some time in studying variable substitution as it's too powerful to miss, and it's probably one of the most useful mechanics in Bash. Unfortunately it's still a very gray area to me.

I went with geirha's solution because I'll be working 2 different extensions with both upper and lowercase.

Now, if you bear with me just a little longer I need some extra help. :(
On order for my command to work (and it will either delete or move the sidecar file to another folder) I will need to replace " " with "\ " so that:
mv 2008-12-21 Jantar de Natal\IMG001.ORF.bib /dev/null
gets replaced with:
mv 2008-12-21\ Jantar\ de\ Natal\IMG001.ORF.bib /dev/null

I've tried:
transformed=${sidecar_file//" "/"\ "} but I get an error:
Bad substitution

I don't know what's wrong because I can't even a simpler "1" to "2" substitution to work in the script even though it works in the bash.

lloyd_b
June 29th, 2009, 03:25 AM
Instead of trying to get "\ " everywhere there's a space, it's simpler to just wrap the arguments in double quotes. For example, instead of
$command $sidecar_file $destination, use
$command "$sidecar_file" "$destination"

Note - you can get a literal double-quote into a string by using \".

Lloyd B.

oduartix
June 30th, 2009, 01:56 AM
Instead of trying to get "\ " everywhere there's a space, it's simpler to just wrap the arguments in double quotes. For example, instead of
$command $sidecar_file $destination, use

Note - you can get a literal double-quote into a string by using \".

Oh boy, the more I work at this the further from the end line I seem to get... :(
But at least I'm not sure it's related to bash. Running this script with option -a (which means the command will be mv -i )

# Defaults Initializations
declare -i deleted
deleted=0
command="mv -f "
destination=" /dev/null"

# Set command to apply and destination of deleted files according to the action
if [ $action = '-m' ]; then
destination=" ~/.local/share/Trash/files/"
elif [ $action = '-a' ]; then
command="mv -i "
elif [ $action = '-t' ]; then
command="echo mv -f "
fi

# LOOP for every sidecar file (*.xmp | *.bib) below $path
find "$path" \( -name "*.xmp" \) -print | while read sidecar_file; do
# Calculate the ORIGINAL filename by removing the extension
# Is the SIDECAR file orphaned?
if [ ! -f "$orphaned_file" ]; then
# count action doesn't execute <command file destination>, all others do
fi
deleted=$((deleted+1))
fi
done

#Final output
echo "Command successful. $deleted files deleted. "
else
echo $deleted
fi

the output is:
mv: cannot move `./work/023 Vera/102OLYMP/P3017133.ORF.xmp' to ` /dev/null': No such file or directory

If I try it directly in the bash:
mv ./work/023\ Vera/102OLYMP/P3017133.ORF.xmp /dev/null
I get:
mv: inter-device move failed: `./work/023 Vera/102OLYMP/P3017133.ORF.xmp' to `/dev/null'; unable to remove target: Permission denied

even though I can delete the file with:
rm -i ./work/023\ Vera/102OLYMP/P3017133.ORF.xmp

And why oh why?:
> sh delete_orphans -c
outputs:
delete_orphans: 42: declare: not found

while:
> ./delete_orphans -c
outputs:

What is happening? Why is deleted = 0? Al these subtleties are burning a hole in my head... :(

ghostdog74
June 30th, 2009, 02:16 AM
why are you moving to /dev/null?? if you want to remove files, just use rm, if you want to truncate a file to 0 bytes, just use it like this

prompt# > file_to_truncate

otherwise, supply a proper destination!

geirha
June 30th, 2009, 02:17 AM
the output is:
mv: cannot move `./work/023 Vera/102OLYMP/P3017133.ORF.xmp' to ` /dev/null': No such file or directory

If I try it directly in the bash:
mv ./work/023\ Vera/102OLYMP/P3017133.ORF.xmp /dev/null
I get:
mv: inter-device move failed: `./work/023 Vera/102OLYMP/P3017133.ORF.xmp' to `/dev/null'; unable to remove target: Permission denied

even though I can delete the file with:
rm -i ./work/023\ Vera/102OLYMP/P3017133.ORF.xmp

Not sure why you expect moving something to /dev/null would delete it, but it won't, it will try to replace the file /dev/null instead. You really do need to use rm.

Also,

destination=" /dev/null"
# is different from
destination="/dev/null"

And why oh why?:
> sh delete_orphans -c
outputs:
delete_orphans: 42: declare: not found

while:
> ./delete_orphans -c
outputs:

What is happening? Why is deleted = 0? Al these subtleties are burning a hole in my head... :(

That's because you have a command piped to while. It's a confusing annoyance with bash. When you do

find "$path" \( -name "*.xmp" \) -print | while read sidecar_file; do
# ...
done

The while loop will be run in a subshell. So, the deleted variable is only incremented in that subshell, while in the main, it will remain 0. One way to circumvent that is to use process substitution (http://mywiki.wooledge.org/ProcessSubstitution).

while read sidecar_file; do
# ...
done < <(find "$path" \( -name "*.xmp" \) -print)