PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer 8 is annoying!

Blood//Stain//Child
June 27th, 2009, 01:33 AM
Why is it praised?

I hate having to click the compatibility button so often.

magmon
June 27th, 2009, 01:37 AM
The solution: Firefox.

monsterstack
June 27th, 2009, 01:40 AM
What's the deal with compatibility mode anyhow? Does switching it on load pages Microsoft-style, or is it the other way around?

swoll1980
June 27th, 2009, 01:40 AM

Even the computer illiterates I know, stay away from ie.

Therion
June 27th, 2009, 01:42 AM
Internet Explo... Oh, I get it!

BAHHH-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

<deep breath>

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!

Dude... Good one! Oh man... That about killed me.

/Knee slapping

philcamlin
June 27th, 2009, 01:43 AM
get firefox :D :popcorn:

Blood//Stain//Child
June 27th, 2009, 01:45 AM

I can't. It's a college supplied laptop, and we are not allowed to install third party, non-Microsoft applications

swoll1980
June 27th, 2009, 01:46 AM
Why is it praised?

I've never heard a good word about it. Who praises it?

monsterstack
June 27th, 2009, 01:48 AM
I can't. It's a college supplied laptop, and we are not allowed to install third party, non-Microsoft applications

What the hell? Are you physically not allowed to install applications?

Tipped OuT
June 27th, 2009, 01:50 AM
What the hell? Are you physically not allowed to install applications?

Obviously not, because it's not his laptop.

Therion
June 27th, 2009, 01:51 AM
What the hell?
Draconian I.S. Department. Total control over what's installed reduces Trouble-Calls and speeds up troubleshooting. I've seen such corporate mandates before.

In such instances, logic does NOT apply. I repeat... Logic DOES NOT APPLY.

monsterstack
June 27th, 2009, 01:52 AM
Obviously not, because it's not his laptop.

No, I mean is it a case of,

You are not allowed to install applications, do don't!

or

We are giving you a restricted user account to stop you from installing applications!

Which is it?

wojox
June 27th, 2009, 02:00 AM
Compatibility View

When a web site says that it supports modern web standards, Internet Explorer 8 respects that and displays the site using its most standards compliant mechanism. In the majority of cases, this works out just fine. However, every once in a while, a page that says “display me using modern standards” really means “display me like Internet Explorer 7 used to display modern standards pages”. This is where Compatibility View comes in.

There are a bunch of changes under the hood, but the main points to know are –

* Sites on the public internet still display in IE8 Standards Mode by default.
* Switching in and out of Compatibility View (between IE7 and IE8 modes) happens on the fly without a browser restart.
* Compatibility View is domain specific.

monsterstack
June 27th, 2009, 02:03 AM
Compatibility View

When a web site says that it supports modern web standards, Internet Explorer 8 respects that and displays the site using its most standards compliant mechanism. In the majority of cases, this works out just fine. However, every once in a while, a page that says “display me using modern standards” really means “display me like Internet Explorer 7 used to display modern standards pages”. This is where Compatibility View comes in.

There are a bunch of changes under the hood, but the main points to know are –

* Sites on the public internet still display in IE8 Standards Mode by default.
* Switching in and out of Compatibility View (between IE7 and IE8 modes) happens on the fly without a browser restart.
* Compatibility View is domain specific.

Gosh. Well, how nice of them. Anyhow, maybe it's time the OP tried using some portable applications. Here's the portable version of Firefox (http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable) [portableapps.com]. Maybe you should try running pen-drive Ubuntu too. That'll be pretty cool.

siryuhan
June 27th, 2009, 02:08 AM
I actually don't dislike Internet Explorer 8: in my experience, no security issues, no compatibility issues; it displays webpages, it displays them quickly, and it displays them well.

This is not to say that I hate Firefox...but really, they're both just web browsers.

Giant Speck
June 27th, 2009, 02:10 AM
I actually don't dislike Internet Explorer 8: in my experience, no security issues, no compatibility issues; it displays webpages, it displays them quickly, and it displays them well.

This is not to say that I hate Firefox...but really, they're both just web browsers.

HERETIC.

Rabblerabblerabblerabblerabble

philcamlin
June 27th, 2009, 02:10 AM
ie is the worst browser i ever used

ie6 had so meny holes it was worse then a door thats open trying to lock out people :D

ie8 sucks too

Giant Speck
June 27th, 2009, 02:11 AM

ie6 had so meny holes it was worse then a door thats open trying to lock out people :D

ie8 sucks too

Wow. I'm surprised you didn't use the :popcorn: smiley. You seem to use it practically every other time you post.

Vostrocity
June 27th, 2009, 02:13 AM
Imo IE8's actually pretty good, waaay better than IE7. But unfortunately it's still worse than Firefox, Chrome, and Opera (maybe Safari too).

philcamlin
June 27th, 2009, 02:15 AM
Wow. I'm surprised you didn't use the :popcorn: smiley. You seem to use it practically every other time you post.

iknow i do... i figured i shouldent use it anymore i think people hate it just like the :guitar::lolflag:

wojox
June 27th, 2009, 02:21 AM
Someone asked what the compatibility view was and I explained it.

Gosh. Well, how nice of them. Anyhow, maybe it's time the OP tried using some portable applications. Here's the portable version of Firefox [portableapps.com]. Maybe you should try running pen-drive Ubuntu too. That'll be pretty cool.

I don't even know what the hell your talking about????

monsterstack
June 27th, 2009, 02:26 AM
Someone asked what the compatibility view was and I explained it.

Yeah, that was me:

What's the deal with compatibility mode anyhow? Does switching it on load pages Microsoft-style, or is it the other way around?

I don't even know what the hell your talking about????

If the OP isn't able to install applications, then using portable applications is the next-best thing. Alternatively, he could install Ubuntu (or whatever) on to a thumb-drive and boot his laptop off that instead of booting into Windows. Then he'd be able to install whatever he pleases.

swoll1980
June 27th, 2009, 02:28 AM
Yeah, that was me:

Alternatively, he could install Ubuntu (or whatever) on to a thumb-drive and boot his laptop off that instead of booting into Windows. Then he'd be able to install whatever he pleases.

Unless USB boots are locked in the BIOS of course. Which they probably are.

dragos240
June 27th, 2009, 02:33 AM

You should start a petition!

dragos240
June 27th, 2009, 02:34 AM
Or get your own laptop.

monsterstack
June 27th, 2009, 02:34 AM
Unless USB boots are locked in the BIOS of course. Which they probably are.

Maybe so, but the portable applications are still a viable alternative.

Blood//Stain//Child
June 27th, 2009, 02:48 AM
Or get your own laptop.

It's not so bad. I have a little desktop machine that I hacked together with some cheap parts from eBay.

mynameinc
June 27th, 2009, 04:02 AM

ie8 sucks too

IE is like every bank I've ever been in: the pen is on a chain, but the vault door is wide open.

ubuntu27
June 27th, 2009, 04:40 AM

Use PortableApps.com (http://portableapps.com/)'s Portable Firefox (http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable)

http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable

pookiebear
June 27th, 2009, 04:56 AM
Use PortableApps.com (http://portableapps.com/)'s Portable Firefox (http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable)

http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable

Plus 1 /|\ good stuff right there.

magmon
June 27th, 2009, 04:56 AM

Well thats gay.