PDA

View Full Version : iPhone apps on windows/linux

hey_ram
June 27th, 2009, 01:17 AM
hi all,

i run ubuntu 8.04 (hardy) on my laptop which is dual-booted with win xp. i wanted to run and maybe review iPhone apps. is there any way i can run iphone apps on my pc (either on linux/windows)?

my google search drew a blank, and i am turning to you guys for some urgently needed help. any help is most appreciated.

thanks

.Maleficus.
June 27th, 2009, 01:22 AM
Um, why not run them on an iPhone? If you don't have an iPhone/iPod Touch then no, you can't run them on a computer. **This isn't to say that you can't run them an a Mac which you may be able to do with the emulator that comes with the SDK. I don't know though.

Joeb454
June 27th, 2009, 01:24 AM
As far as I'm aware, iPhone development requires the iPhone SDK/Xcode. This allows you to test your app's on the iPhone emulator.

That said, it may be possible to develop on another OS if you can get the extracted header files etc, but there would be no way to test it properly, nor can I think of any way to compile it correctly

Vostrocity
June 27th, 2009, 02:17 AM
The SDK is $99 or you could get a refurb Touch for $180. If you don't already have an iPhone why would you want to review iPhone apps?

hey_ram
July 7th, 2009, 08:31 AM
i was asked to review apps for the iPhone/iPod Touch for a website that keeps track of apps made for this platform. this first review was supposed to be a sort of 'interview'.

i had a feeling that apple apps may not run on a PC, which is why I specifically asked them if an iphone/ipod touch was required. to which they said owning one wasnt necessary.

subsequently, i tried running some free apps on a MAC, but no luck there either. so my question is:

if an iPhone/iPod Touch is not required for writing an application review, and assuming I have to USE an app before i write a review for it, is there some other method that I may be missing, or is my assumption (that I have to use an app before writing a review) incorrect? hope u guys/girls got what i am trying to say.

DoubleClicker
July 7th, 2009, 05:03 PM
i was asked to review apps for the iPhone/iPod Touch for a website that keeps track of apps made for this platform. this first review was supposed to be a sort of 'interview'.

i had a feeling that apple apps may not run on a PC, which is why I specifically asked them if an iphone/ipod touch was required. to which they said owning one wasnt necessary.

subsequently, i tried running some free apps on a MAC, but no luck there either. so my question is:

if an iPhone/iPod Touch is not required for writing an application review, and assuming I have to USE an app before i write a review for it, is there some other method that I may be missing, or is my assumption (that I have to use an app before writing a review) incorrect? hope u guys/girls got what i am trying to say.

The iPhone simulator, that comes with the XCode iPhone SDK, can only work with code compiled specifically to run in the simulated environment on a mac (native x86). It cannot run programs compiled for an iPhone (ARM cross compiled).

Theoretically you could run them in a virtual machine, that emulates the iPhone hardware, but currently only way to run iPhone apps, for which you don't have the source code, is on an actual iPhone/iPod Touch.

geoken
July 7th, 2009, 05:09 PM
I think the emulator community should jump on this. Their are a wealth of games and the system requirements are likely lower than other systems that have already been emulated (ie. Dreamcast).

hey_ram
July 15th, 2009, 04:45 AM
so i guess that pretty much settles it:

i HAVE to buy a mac to run iphone apps. i guess i will have to let this opportunity go.

thanx all who helped!

this thread is closed.

killerguy
March 16th, 2011, 01:38 AM
You can get PearPC 0.4 emulator to it is a mac osx emulator that allows u to run mac osx stuff in windows :)
Hope that helps it save u from buying a mac

Omega420
December 21st, 2011, 09:29 AM
You can get PearPC 0.4 emulator to it is a mac osx emulator that allows u to run mac osx stuff in windows :)
Hope that helps it save u from buying a mac

yeah but this is a Linux site we need something to run on linux pls

nothingspecial
December 21st, 2011, 09:53 AM
http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/6976/necro2.png