PDA

View Full Version : Brazilian President take a picture with Pirate Bay Founder and defend a free Internet

lovinglinux
June 27th, 2009, 12:42 AM
I know politics is not allowed, but I believe this is relevant and at least interesting. It occurred during the International Free Software Forum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FISL) (FISL) event.

Original article: LULA DEFENDE LIBERDADE NA INTERNET E TIRA FOTO COM PETER SUNDE (http://www.trezentos.blog.br/?p=1980&owa_from=feed&owa_sid=)

Translation:

Mariel Zasso took a picture of Lula with Peter Sunde, one of the Pirate Bay founders. The Brazilian President defend the freedom on the Internet and the importance of collaboration. He said in his speech, after meeting with Richard Stallman, Marcelo Branco, Mad Dog, Mario Teza, Pablo, Sergio Amadeu, Marcos Mazoni, Marcelo Tossati, Peter Sunde, Bruno Souza e other hackers: “the Internet must continue free”… “In my government is prohibited to prohibit”…”The freedom is the source of the creativity”.

EDIT: another interesting article

Original article: Lula no Fisl 10: Lei Azeredo é censura (http://www.baguete.com.br/noticiasDetalhes.php?id=3508379)

I have translated some interesting passages:

President Lula excited the public of Fisl 10 when publicly criticized Senator Eduardo Azeredo (PSDB-MG) bill to control cyber crimes, during speech on his first attendance of the event this Friday, 26. "

“In our government is prohibited to prohibit. I consider this bill a form of censorship", said the president, who was invited by the organizers to attend the event since he became president.

Lula also delighted the spectators by provoking Microsoft, while remembering the first meetings at the Granja do Torto with the area of technology the government, praising the role of Sergio Amadeu, former president of ITI.

"Some people had argued that we should make our recipe and others the usual sameness" said the president. “Free software prevailed and we don't need to buy anymore only what Microsoft wants to sell" he added.

Sealbhach
June 27th, 2009, 02:00 AM
I don't agree that "internet freedom" and "breaking the law" are the same thing.

philcamlin
June 27th, 2009, 02:02 AM
free internet ?

never heard of it since the days of dialup :popcorn:

monsterstack
June 27th, 2009, 02:06 AM
Awesome stuff. Thanks for the translations. We are slowly moving towards real internet freedom in spite of all the people who want to stop it happening.

Tibuda
June 27th, 2009, 02:08 AM
"Some people had argued that we should make our revenue and others the usual sameness" said the president.
"Receita" in portuguese can mean both "recipe" or "revenue". I do believe it means "recipe" in the president quote.

wojox
June 27th, 2009, 02:11 AM
Those Brazilians are silly people. I have to admit though I am a fan of Pirate Bay. They have lots of great torrents. It's my weakness !!!

Dr. C
June 27th, 2009, 02:11 AM
It is actually a very significant message against the worldwide Microsoft monopoly on desktop operating systems. The irony hare is the the Pirate Bay may actually be supporting that very monopoly by facilitating the distribution of pirated Windows in competition with GNU / Linux.

After all Bill Gates considered piracy as a useful way to break into the China market. Also in all of the Pirate Bay legal cases there is complete silence on the part of Microsoft. All the "heavy lifting" on the part of enforcing copyrights paying for lawyers etc., has been on the part of the movie and recording industries and not Microsoft.

Lets keep in mind that pirated Windows has about 30% of the market worldwide on the desktop compared to 1% -3% for the market share of GNU / Linux on the desktop.

Tibuda
June 27th, 2009, 02:13 AM
Those Brazilians are silly people.
Can you elaborate?

monsterstack
June 27th, 2009, 02:14 AM
Never mind. I'm moderating myself :)

I will report the thread and ask to be closed.

Eh? But according to the rules,

The RULES:
Almost any non-tech-support topic may be discussed here. Discussions on religion and politics are not allowed, except for politics directly related to free and open source issues.

Talking about people who are being supportive of free and open source software, and net neutrality; I think that fits quite nicely.

lovinglinux
June 27th, 2009, 02:19 AM
free internet ?

never heard of it since the days of dialup :popcorn:

Give me some slack, my English sucks. It should be "Internet Freedom (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gratis_versus_Libre)".

"Receita" in portuguese can mean both "recipe" or "revenue". I do believe it means "recipe" in the president quote.

My translation sucks too :) Thanks for the tip. I will fix it.

Eh? But according to the rules,

Talking about people who are being supportive of free and open source software, and net neutrality; I think that fits quite nicely.

I agree, the problem is the Pirate Bay and copyright discussions. Anyway, I put the post back and asked a moderator to decide if it should stay.

Sef
June 27th, 2009, 03:02 AM
OP asked for it to be closed.