PDA

View Full Version : Let's aim for Google Chrome start-up time for all apps

salsafyren
June 26th, 2009, 07:52 PM
One of the things I like about Google Chrome on Linux is its start-up time. It takes about 1-2 seconds on IBM T23, PIII-era laptop.

Why is so fast compared to Rhythmbox, Gedit and other GTK apps?

If these apps got their start-up time down to 1-2 seconds, it would be one of the best usability boosts of all time.

magmon
June 26th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Yeah, firefox can take 3-5 seconds to boot, but I figure the custumization is worth the extra wait.

OutOfReach
June 26th, 2009, 08:30 PM
It probably starts up fast now because it's not full-featured yet. It's missing a lot of things and as those things keep getting added it'll add some startup time. Think about it.

But still...I agree the startup time of Chromium is great and I hope it stays in that range

Dark Aspect
June 26th, 2009, 08:35 PM
While I congratulate Chrome for being efficient on your PIII chip, I think the bigger problem is that your running on a PIII. I know not everyone is made of money, but there's just no excuse IMO to be running on such an old slow CPU.

I'll probably get some flack for that, but it had to be said.

I disagree, I have lots of older computers and they can be equally as productive if you know what kind of software to use.

starcraft.man
June 26th, 2009, 08:43 PM
No problem, I can take it :)

The reason for not getting a new laptop is simple: this one works, albeit slowly.

Getting new stuff when the old still works is a bad philosophy IMHO. Increased polution, increased materialism are some of the things that matter.

I'm in agreement on the point of reducing waste, but that's not an excuse to hold onto a PIII for 10 years. There are very real improvements in recent generations, not just speed but things like virtualization and new instruction sets. Buying one labtop every ten years isn't gonna destroy the planet, it doesn't make you materialistic either.

To each his own though.

HappyFeet
June 26th, 2009, 09:21 PM
No problem, I can take it :)

The reason for not getting a new laptop is simple: this one works, albeit slowly.

Getting new stuff when the old still works is a bad philosophy IMHO. Increased polution, increased materialism are some of the things that matter.

I thought GTK apps were all the same until I tried Chrome on Linux.

Increased pollution how? You're supposed to recycle old equipment. I'm not sure about the increased materialism thing, but some people just don't want to wait all day for stuff to open. Nothing wrong with getting a fast computer.

pt123
June 26th, 2009, 09:41 PM
This would be possible if Gnome spent time on impoving their architecture and underlying components than wasting their resources on second class applications.

.Maleficus.
June 26th, 2009, 10:01 PM
I installed Google Chrome on my Windows 7 install and I might actually ditch Firefox for it. The startup times are great and it's far less resource hungry. The addons that are essential for me basically come out of the box with Chrome - no need for Firebug because you can right-click anything and choose "Inspect element". No need for Greasemonkey because with the new beta (on Windows anyways) you can enable user scripts by adding '--enable-user-scripts' to the shortcut line. No need for Adblock because the userscript "Adsweep" is available.