PDA

View Full Version : Is WebKit really unstable, or am I doing something wrong?

Pogeymanz
June 26th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Hey Guys,

It seems that the community has an affection for the WebKit rendering engine. It is faster, leaner, meaner and was the first to pass the acid3, according to most.

I tried Midori a long time ago and it was very unstable. I had heard that at the time, both Midori and WebKit were being heavily developed. I stayed optimistic. I certainly understand that it wouldn't be perfect, so I just waited.

Recently I tried Arora, Midori and Kazehakase w/WebKit. And they all crashed more frequently than not. These were all from the repos. Are there more recent builds of WebKit that are gaining on stability yet? I'm very excited to experience the speed.

Is anyone else having any luck with a WebKit browser?

On the other hand, FF3.5 and Opera10 snapshots are GREAT!

hanzomon4
June 26th, 2009, 04:10 PM
It's stable in OSX... I think webkit for linux is still young, that said epiphany 2.27 should be stable

Skripka
June 26th, 2009, 04:17 PM
The latest Arora build here fails to play flash-it used to though. Konqueror with the Webkit module is fast/speedy/stable though.

Kimm
June 26th, 2009, 05:01 PM
The latest Arora build here fails to play flash-it used to though. Konqueror with the Webkit module is fast/speedy/stable though.

really? I get font issues with the Konqueror Webkit module, did you manage to solve them? or are you running Karmic?

Skripka
June 26th, 2009, 05:06 PM
really? I get font issues with the Konqueror Webkit module, did you manage to solve them? or are you running Karmic?

I is running Arch KDEmod4.2.4 ;)

Also depending on your build-know that Nvidia185 has severe known issues when used with older kernels. Nvidia 185 works like a charm on kernel 2.6.30-5 (ARCH), but by reports I've seen 185.** does not play well with less cutting-edge software (i.e. Ubuntu)

My only gripe against Konqueror/Webikt is that it suffers the same Kio_http-running-amok problem that Konqueror has had for some time. That being said-I haven't noticed any font issues.

MikeTheC
June 26th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Well, Safari is stable on OS X and Windows, but that being said, I still use Firefox anyhow.

steeleyuk
June 26th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Recently I tried Arora, Midori and Kazehakase w/WebKit. And they all crashed more frequently than not. These were all from the repos. Are there more recent builds of WebKit that are gaining on stability yet? I'm very excited to experience the speed.

You might want to give 0.1.7 from the Midori PPA a run. Pretty solid for me.