PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual Boot

Twittery
June 26th, 2009, 03:43 PM
I have been using Ubuntu Jaunty for about 3 month and I thought why not give fedora a try alongside with Ubuntu . As both use grub do I have to make some changes for it to work. If this was the wrong place I apologize. Sorry .

Note : I am still quite new to Linux . So help is appreciated. Thanks.

keplerspeed
June 26th, 2009, 04:09 PM
No, you will not have to do anything specific. Just install fedora on a spare partition, it will detect ubuntu, and both options will apear in the new fedora grub menu.

Twittery
June 26th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Thanks but a few years ago when I tried to install Ubuntu on my Fedora PC , the grub was unable to find Fedora and it was a hell of a mess . Just didn't want to repeat the same old mistake .

keplerspeed
June 26th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Grub has come a long way, and it pretty reliable with detecting other OS's.

Even if the fedora install will not detect ubuntu (Im am 99.9% sure it will) you can boot to ubuntu live cd, and reinstate the ubuntu grub menu, and that will detect fedora. See restoring grub https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows

raymondh
June 26th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Grub has come a long way, and it pretty reliable with detecting other OS's.

you can boot to ubuntu live cd, and reinstate the ubuntu grub menu, and that will detect fedora.

+ 1.

Another link for (another) reference

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351

Have fun and happy ubuntu-ing (as well as fedora-ing)

Twittery
June 27th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Thanks all

presence1960
June 27th, 2009, 01:47 AM
install fedora's GRUB to fedora's partition not MBR. This will leave Ubuntu's GRUB in MBR and in control when you boot. Then edit Ubuntu's menu.lst to chainload fedora much like you would windows. Example:

title Fedora
rootnoverify (hdx,y)
chainloader +1

This will pass off to Fedora's GRUB when you choose Fedora's chainload entry. An advantage to this is when Fedora upgrades it's kernel you will not have to edit Ubuntu's menu.lst since you are chainloading Fedora. The new kernel will be included in Fedora's menu.lst automatically with the kernel upgrade. The other way it will not automatically be included in Ubuntu's menu.lst and will require manual editing with each new Fedora kernel. And the other way around if you put Fedora in MBR, you will have to edit fedora's menu.lst to include any Ubuntu kernel upgrades. Chainloading the second OS is the way to go!