PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Isntalling Ubuntu with live CD

Geezoid
June 26th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Hi again (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1192423)
I've been trying to install Ubuntu 9.04 with a live CD (burned on dvd from image).
Restarted pc with cd
Ubuntu menu appeared
-> Try ubuntu in live mode. Then it goes all wrong. error message "cannot read disk"
same for install ubuntu-option

What to do?:confused:

Sef
June 26th, 2009, 12:26 PM
1) Have you md5summed the download? If not, maybe the download was bad.

2) Have you burned the iso as an iso?

3) Have you burned the iso at 4x or less? Faster can sometimes create a bad image.

4) Have you checked 'Check disk for errors' or something similar? It is about 5th down the list of the option menu.

5) Bad dvd is another possibility.

wpshooter
June 26th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Hi again (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1192423)
I've been trying to install Ubuntu 9.04 with a live CD (burned on dvd from image).
Restarted pc with cd
Ubuntu menu appeared
-> Try ubuntu in live mode. Then it goes all wrong. error message "cannot read disk"
same for install ubuntu-option

What to do?:confused:

Why would you attempt to use "try Ubuntu in live mode" or "install" before you had checked the integrity of the Ubuntu CD by using that verification function that is found on the initial Ubuntu boot screen menu ?

adam_kimber
June 26th, 2009, 02:00 PM
I had some problems with install before. Some CD burners do not like some disks, and whilst it burns ok, the data can be corrupted. The disk check and to a limited extent the md5sum can help get around that.

I would run the live cd and check the disk. That way you should know if the contents are ok. Once that is done, try booting a live session and play for a bit to see if all is ok. Then install.

IF you want to dual boot please search for guides to do that. The installer might want to use entire disk for install. Do not proceed with that until you have backed up all data that you require as this will format the hard drive completely.

lisati
June 26th, 2009, 02:05 PM
If the "Try Ubuntu" option on the CD's menu isn't working, then it would be a good idea to use the "Check CD" option before you even think of trying the "install" option.

Another possibility to check is to see if the CD works in another CD drive. I have one DVD which reports errors if I try to use it in the built-in DVD reader in my laptop, but works perfectly when I use an external DVD reader that plugs in via USB.

Twittery
June 26th, 2009, 04:04 PM
I too had that problem when I installed Ubuntu 9.04 and I had to re-download the whole thing to work . lol