PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Have windows xp do i need to erase hard drive?

Mrangel
June 26th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Hi I want to install Ubuntu back on my home pc. do i need to erase windows xp off of it? Its not a problem if i need too. my lap top will run vista. Ok let me know if any help it would be most excellent.
Thanks
God bless you all.
From Mrangel.

howefield
June 26th, 2009, 09:47 AM
You don't have to, but you can if you want.

The installer will help you make your choice during the disk partitioning stage.

If you decide to resize the windows partition and install Ubuntu, you will have the choice of operating system to boot into at boot up.

lisati
June 26th, 2009, 10:00 AM
As howefield says, you can but you don't have to. The Ubuntu installer's partitioner has an option to use the entire hard disk, which will wipe absolutely everything.

It might be a good idea to try dual boot or Wubi first before committing yourself to wiping Windows.

Important: make a backup of all important data, and make sure you have a backup of any Windows recovery partition that might be present. The last thing you want to have happen is the need to reinstate Windows for whatever reason and discover that you can't, or you have permanently lost something important.

merlinus
June 26th, 2009, 10:03 AM
If you decide to dual-boot, it is best to delete temp and other unneeded files from windows and defrag several times before installing ubuntu and shrinking the windows partition to make room for it.

wojox
June 26th, 2009, 10:15 AM
I vote the option to use the entire hard disk, which will wipe absolutely everything. You don't really need xp on the desktop if you have vista on your laptop. That's Windows overload.