PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 8.04 to Ubuntu 9.04 Startup Error

cosmicspec
June 26th, 2009, 07:40 AM
I had Ubuntu 8.04 installed on my Gateway laptop last night and I decided to go to Update Manager to see were there any updates and saw a newer version (9.04) and about over 200 more updates I could perform. I decided to install 9.04 and let it download over night.
When I woke up I needed to restart the computer. When I restarted it booted up normally, but after awhile I saw graphical errors and the colors were distorted. After the Kubuntu splash screen. There is a black space in the middle and distorted lines on the outsides.
The screen doesn't move afterwards and I can't even get it to boot up all the way correctly. There were distortions with 8.04, but I could at least use the computer. If I decide or can't fix this problem can I use the desktop version from the official site or would I have to use another since I am using a laptop? I tried to provide screenshots but I kept getting an error. Thanks

madverb
June 26th, 2009, 07:48 AM
Please list the specs of your PC

cosmicspec
June 26th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Is there anyway to check during the boot process? It is refurbished and I don't have the box or anything. I have downloaded 8.04 again I may just install it all over again.

leviofan
June 26th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Is there anyway to check during the boot process? It is refurbished and I don't have the box or anything. I have downloaded 8.04 again I may just install it all over again.

cosmicspec
June 26th, 2009, 10:32 PM
I'm sorry, I was using 8.10 Intrepid before not 8.04. I think that was the problem. I am downloading 8.10 right now.

cosmicspec
June 27th, 2009, 06:19 AM
I have a question. I finished downloading 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex) from the torrent and I was wondering do I need to have a specific CD to burn it or can I just use a music CD-R? If not, what do you recommend?