PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] wanting to install multiple o.s.

rhythmiccycle
June 26th, 2009, 05:28 AM
i have an old pc with a 15 gig hd.

right now i have a 5 gig partition, with puppy linux running on it.

the other 10 gigs are unpartitioned space.

ideally, I would like to have 3 o.s. on the p.c.

*puppy linux, because its an old p.c. and puppy runs well.
*ubuntu linux, because I know the most about ubuntu linux(vs other distro's).
*windows xp (black), because there are some programs that are only available on windows.

I know how to partition, and i know how to install an os on to a partition.

but i don't know how to set up the start up, so it will ask what o.s. do i want to run.

i know that puppy linux is using GRUB to boot. but i really don't know much about GRUB, besides that fact that it has to do with booting, and i think i need to configure it somehow, to run a multi o.s. system

can anyone tell me, at least, what to do (during and/or after) installing ubuntu on to another partition, to make it so I'll be asked what o.s. to boot with when i start up.

(if someone knows how to include windows xp black too, that would also be nice.)

mikewhatever
June 26th, 2009, 07:12 AM
You don't have to configure it, at least not the Ubuntu version. It should show the menu screen with available OSs to choose from. Here is a good guide for GRUB. http://members.iinet.net.au/~herman546/p15.html

rhythmiccycle
June 26th, 2009, 03:39 PM
I have it working now. thanks

The problem i had before was that I insatled ubuntu first then tried to add puppy linux.

but this time i installed puppy first, and then installed ubuntu second, and during the ubuntu installation there was an option to install side by side.