PDA

View Full Version : Restricting Python

Gannon8
June 26th, 2009, 04:06 AM
Hello all

I am going to try embedding python into a game as a system for writing client-side modules for the game. I want to restrict python from opening files, importing os, sys, and a few others, and other similar lockdown techniques, so that malicious servers cannot delete the entire drive.
Is there a way to do this, or do I have to look at the code being sent?

In C by the way

Reiger
June 26th, 2009, 04:27 AM
That depends mostly on how you embed it. In a language like Java embedding Jython-with-strings-attached is fairly easy. (You could simply load your interpreter through a custom Classloader which has a non-trivial SecurityManager attached to it.)

Paul Miller
June 26th, 2009, 07:40 PM
The short answer is: if you're embedding it in a C or C++ app, you can't really do that efficiently.

A slightly longer answer is: You really either need to trust your users or not allow third-party scripting at all.

In theory, it is, of course, possible to limit a script's access to (say) the os and sys modules, which would limit a lot of the potential damage that could be done. It's even possible to modify the file() and open() builtins to restrict which files they can open (but it's somewhat involved).

This (http://code.activestate.com/recipes/496746/) is a start, but I'm not entirely convinced it's completely secure, as I haven't audited the entire Python codebase. At a glance, it doesn't seem to prevent you from exhausting all of memory by evaluating an expression like "10**10**10", for instance.

All in all, if you must use Python and you must have complete sandboxing, I would say either using Jython (as a previous poster mentioned) or carefully auditing and patching the interpreter source are your best bets. I wouldn't try to secure the interpreter with Python code (for one thing, Python doesn't have a good builtin way to measure the amount of memory an object takes up, among other things).