PDA

View Full Version : Multiple wine versions via separate user accounts?

myrtle1908
June 26th, 2009, 02:57 AM
I would like to know if the following is possible. I'm not at home so cannot try it for a while.

I have wine 0.9.15 installed in my current user account home directory ie ~/.wine. I need 0.9.15 as it is the only version which seems to work well for me with Infinity Engine (IE) games eg. Baldur's Gate 1, BG2 etc.

If I were to create a new user account and login as the new user would I be able to install a newer wine without affecting my 0.9.15 for the other user?

Thankyou

jerrrys
June 26th, 2009, 03:17 AM
how bout this instead

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=942269

myrtle1908
June 26th, 2009, 03:29 AM
Thanks jerrrys. Looks interesting however I don't want to uninstall my existing wine because I've spent so much time configuring and installing several games for 0.9.15. Unfortunately to use the multi wine version installer I would have to start again.

I suppose I'll just try my other idea with different user accounts etc. I see no reason why it wouldn't work. Was just hoping someone could confirm or deny.

Thanks again.

NightMKoder
June 26th, 2009, 04:21 AM
Different user account will give you different PREFIXes (which you don't need an account for; just use `WINEPREFIX=/home/mike/.wine_weird wine notepad`). Having different versions of wine is however considerably harder.