PDA

View Full Version : Motorola Surfboard Cable Modem question...

MikeTheC
June 25th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Hey Folks!

I'm looking to buy my own cable modem and return the rental to my provider. I presently have a Surfboard 5101 which has worked flawlessly for me.

My question is this: There are a couple different models, specifically I'm looking the 5120. Can anyone tell me what differences there are between these units? I've tried looking but I can't find enough details to satisfy my question.

Thanks!

Dimitriid
June 26th, 2009, 12:14 AM
As far as I know the 5120 is sought after for the abilities to use custom firmware, however I presume that would be incredible illegal on where you live almost for sure.

MikeTheC
June 26th, 2009, 01:12 AM
Wow. Having just done some spot research, now I understand what you mean.

I don't have a need to uncap my cable modem. Everything can always be better or faster, but my service is quite sufficient for my needs.

Looks like the SB5101 will be sufficient. Heck, the rental unit hasn't given me one single second's worth of trouble.

Dimitriid
June 26th, 2009, 02:08 AM
If you already own a decent router ( or a spare pc ) then yes it should be more than sufficient. If not you might want to get something that can double as a wireless gateway too, might be usefull and not that much more expensive.

Therion
June 26th, 2009, 02:18 AM
I don't have a need to uncap my cable modem.
I've had my Moto surfboard for some time. Great box. Paid for itself in like six months or something.

As for uncapping... People still try to uncap their modems?? It would take an ISP about a heartbeart, two tops, before the hammer fell.

MikeTheC
June 26th, 2009, 07:22 AM
No, I don't need another router. I've already got a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 running DD-WRT, and it's fantastic.

And yes, from what I've read I'm assuming people are still trying to pull this. Why the cable companies feel the need (at least some of them) to involve the FBI and arrest them and all that jazz, I don't know. I mean, if you screw with your local cable company, isn't just canceling your service and banning you from being a future customer (as well as some site modifications) pretty much sufficient for this kind of petty thing?

At this time I believe I've got either 6 or 8MB down (it's Comcast's base level in my market) and really it's very sufficient. As I said above, anything can be better. Heck, I'd love to have Verizon's FIOS, but that's not in the cards. I'm happy with what I've got.

For that matter, unless your ISP is actually doing something evil to you, I don't want to hear another (fellow) American complain about their DSL or cable service. A friend of mine lives in Australia, and their Internet service levels suck. On a good day they're no where near as good as here in the U.S., and moreover they have insane monthly caps on them. So, not one word!