PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Xubuntu on Toshiba Satellite 1135-S1551: Blinking cursor

cmkennedy
June 25th, 2009, 09:00 PM
All right, I have this old Toshiba Satellite laptop from way back in 2003 and I'm trying to wipe it clean and install Xubuntu. There's nothing of any value on the hard drive and I want XP Pro gone.

So I downloaded the latest, normal i386 ISO to install Xubuntu and booted from the disc. I got the install screen, select my language, and press "Install." I get some disc activity, then it transitions to a blank screen with a blinking cursor at the top left with no disc activity.

I did a quick Google search and tried it again in safe graphics mode. A little more disc activity before the same result as above. This also happens when I try to check the disc for errors.

Here are the specs on the Satellite:

Celeron 2.00GHz
1024MB RAM (upgraded from 512)
30GB HDD
XP Pro with SP3 (never ever reinstalled since purchase)

So what am I missing out on here? I'm not getting any error messages and when I've got blinky up there, no keyboard input is recognized.

Clueless Wonder
October 17th, 2009, 10:18 PM
I am having the exact same problem with the exact same machine. I see that this post from June hasn't had any replies. Does anyone have any suggestions?

eakerman
October 29th, 2009, 02:56 AM
bump. same here, but on an old e-machine

eakerman
October 29th, 2009, 03:09 AM
oops, i was loading ubuntu and not xubuntu. downloading xubuntu alternate now and will get back to you.

bendib
October 29th, 2009, 03:23 AM
Try Fedora. Fedora runs on hardware ubuntu will not, for some odd reason I still have not figured out. I use Fedora as my primary by choice, so if anyone needs help with fedora, let me know.